Healthier version of chicken katsudon. Baked crispy chicken tonkatsu on a bed of flavourful sauce of soft egg and shiitake, in a bowl of hot white rice. Super delicious and can easily be prepared at home.
Watch how to make baked chicken katsudon in the video below:
Baked Chicken Katsudon
- 1/2 cup panko (40 gr)
- 3 oz chicken breast fillet (90 gr), 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) thickness
- salt to taste , to season the chicken fillet
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (30 gr)
- 1 egg , beaten
- 3/4 cup water (185 ml)
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp dashi powder
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 shallot , sliced
- 0.07 oz dry shiitake (2 gr), soaked until soft and drained
- 1 egg , slightly beaten
- 1 tbsp chopped spring onion (the green part)
- 1 bowl of cooked white rice
- some bonito flakes , to sprinkle on top
- some chopped spring onion , to sprinkle on top
- In a pan, add in panko. Toast on medium heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally to ensure even toasting. Set aside on a kitchen paper to cool.
- Prepare 3 different plates with flour, egg and toasted panko separately on each plate. Season both sides of he chicken fillet with some salt. Take the chicken fillet and coat it well on both sides with the flour. Do same continuing with the egg and panko.
- Place the breaded fillet on a rack, in a baking tray. Using the rack will enable air circulation and make the tonkatsu crispier on both sides. Bake in a preheated oven at 400ºF (200ºC) for 5 minutes or until fully cooked. Using toasted panko will give that golden brown color (like deep fried version) and of course make it crispier. Set aside while we make the donburi.
- In a small pan, add in water, sugar, soy sauce , dashi powder, rice vinegar, shallots and shiitake. Simmer for a few minutes until the shallots are soft. Pour in the egg and sprinkle the spring onion on top. Cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat off. Leave for 30 seconds to 1 minute until the egg is just slightly cooked yet still runny.
- Place some rice in a bowl. Pour in previously cooked sauce together with the egg on top of the rice. Slice the tonkastu into pieces and carefully place the pieces on top, in the bowl. Finish it off with sprinkles of bonito flakes and chopped spring onion. Serve hot, enjoy!