My take of this simple yet amazing Punjabi chicken curry. The combination of the spices really contributes to the flavours. Serve it with some kulcha or rice, and you’ll be satisfied to the max.
Watch how to make Punjabi chicken curry in the video below:
Punjabi Chicken Curry
- 1.1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (500 gr), cut into 2 inches (5 cm) pieces
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 ripe tomato , peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves , grated
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt (190 gr)
- In a bowl, add in chicken, salt and turmeric powder. Mix everything to coat the chicken well and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan on medium heat. Add black cardamom, green cardamoms, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and sliced red onion. Stir and cook for a few minutes until the onion turns golden brown.
- Add in smoked paprika, coriander powder, cayenne pepper powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder. Mix everything and cook for 1 minute until the powdery taste is gone.
- Add in tomato, ginger and garlic. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until the tomato becomes mushy.
- Add in previously prepared chicken. Mix and coat the chicken well with the mixture. Add in yogurt and mix everything good and bring it to a simmer. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Stir now and then.
- Adjust salt if needed and serve hot with some rice or kulcha bread. Enjoy!