Extremely soft and fluffy buns infused with clementine and lemon zest, pumpkin spice mix and stuffed with chocolate! They’re great to prepare for this coming Easter.
I used my own pumpkin spice mix to flavour these delicious buns, here is the recipe if you want to make yours.
Watch how to make chocolate stuffed hot cross buns in the video below:
Chocolate Stuffed Hot Cross Buns
- 2/3 cup warm milk (160 ml)
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast (7 gr)
- 2 1/3 cup bread flour (300 gr)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50 gr)
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice mix check my recipe if you want to make yours
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (30 gr), melted
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 clementine zest
- 12 tbsp chocolate chips
The cross custard
- 1/3 cup vanilla custard powder (40 gr)
- 1/2 cup milk (125 ml)
- 1 egg , for egg wash
- some honey , for brushing
- In a bowl, add in warm milk, 1/2 tsp sugar and mix. Sprinkle the dry yeast and give it a few stirs. Leave it for 3-5 minutes until the mixture gets foamy.
- In a mixing bowl, add the rest of ingredients for the bread except chocolate chips. Mix to incorporate everything and then knead for 12 minutes or until the dough doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl. The dough will be sticky and that's what we want. Using a spatula, pour the dough into an oiled bowl and cover it tightly with a cling film. Leave in a warm and draft free place until it rises double its size.
- Sprinkle some flour on your working surface. Place the risen dough. Lightly knead and form it into a log. Cut into 12 equal pieces and form each pieces into a ball.
- Take one ball and flatten it with your fingers. Put 1 tbsp of chocolate chips in the center. Fold and pinch the dough and form it into a ball. Place it in a 9 inch (23 cm) buttered pan. Do the same to the rest of the balls. Cover the pan tightly with an oiled cling film. Leave for 20 minutes or until the balls puff up a bit.
- After they have puffed up, gently brush the tops with some egg wash. Then prepare the custard for the cross by mixing the vanilla custard powder and milk until the mixture thickens. Put the custard in a piping bag so that it's easier to make the cross. Then simply pipe the cross on top of each buns.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400ºF (200ºC) for 20 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked. As soon as you take them out from the oven, brush the tops with some honey. Heat the honey for a few seconds in microwave to make it runny and easier to use. Serve the buns warm. Enjoy!