I don't know about you but I simply LOVE carrot cakes. This carrot cake with apple and walnuts is no exception.
It's soft, moist and ohhhh simply amazing. And not to forget the cream cheese frosting. Oh la la!
Ok let's get started shall we?
My First Carrot Cake
Yes, this is the first carrot cake that I made since years ago and until now, I'm still making it.
I remember the first time making it for my husband Marco (boyfriend back then) and his parents when they came back from Italy.
It's in my culture that when somebody comes to your house, you will serve them food and drinks.
No matter what time they arrive, you serve them food and drinks. No matter if they've already eaten, you serve them food and drinks.
So knowing that they would be arriving around mid day, I started planning all the meals. Marco always says it gives me pleasure to feed people. And he's right! I will always find excuses to feed people. Haha!
And I made this carrot cake (among other things) to serve them. I even made it the day before so that it tasted better.
They loved it and since then this recipe has been one of our favourite carrot cake recipes. Yes, I have another carrot cake recipe with pineapple and pecans.
As you can see in the video below, this carrot cake is one of the easiest cakes ever.
You basically just mix the dry ingredients together with grated carrot, chopped apple and walnuts with a spatula. Then just by using manual whisk, you mix the wet ingredients and that's it.
I mean, if that's not super easy then I don't know what it is.
You can of course personalise this cake to your taste. Add some spices in it. Make it yours.
Cream Cheese Frosting
I would really recommend you making this cream cheese frosting. Don't skip it. It's so delicious with the cream cheese and my secret, some lemon juice. The lemon juice really brings out the wonderful flavour of this frosting.
Do give this carrot cake recipe a try and let me know what you think.
More Cake Recipes
- Carrot cake with pineapple and pecans
- Easy carrot cake (less ingredients)
- Healthy carrot cake muffins
- Olive oil orange cake
- Lemon almond cake
Carrot Cake with Apple and Walnuts
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour (200 gr)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 gr)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (50 gr)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (60 gr)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut (50 gr)
- 2 cups grated carrot (180 gr)
- 1 apple , diced into small cubes
- 4 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 cup vegetable oil (250 ml)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter (60 gr), room temperature
- 12 oz cream cheese (350 gr), room temperature
- ¾ cup icing sugar (90 gr), sifted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- In a bowl, sift flour. Add in baking powder, baking soda, both sugars, chopped walnuts, coconut flakes, grated carrot and diced apple. Mix everything well to combine. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add in eggs, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into the flour mixture. <mix well to combine. Do not over mix to avoid cake getting dense and hard.
- Pour batter evenly into 2 greased, lined and floured pans of 9 inch (23 cm). Smooth out the top. Bake at 175ºC (350ºF) preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked. Cool cakes on rack.
- In a bowl, whisk butter until fluffy. Add in cream cheese and whisk until well combined. Sift in icing sugar and add lemon juice. Whisk until everything is well combined.
- Place a cake on a cake stand. Put ¼ of frosting and spread evenly. Place the other cake on top. Put ¼ of frosting and crumb coat the cake. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes so that the frosting hardens a bit and makes it easier to finish off the cake later.
- Put the rest of frosting on cake and cover evenly. Decorate with some chopped walnuts and it's ready to be served.