My take of this simple yet amazing Punjabi chicken curry. The combination of the spices really contributes to the flavours. Serve it with some kulcha or rice, and you’ll be satisfied to the max.
More Curry Recipes
Punjabi Chicken Curry
My take of this simple yet amazing Punjabi chicken curry. The combination of the spices really contributes to the flavors. Serve it with some kulcha or rice, and you’ll be satisfied to the max.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 3 people
- 1.1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (500 gr), cut into 2 inches (5 cm) pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 ripe tomato , peeled and cut into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves , grated
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup plain yogurt (190 gr)
- In a bowl, add in chicken, salt and turmeric powder. Mix everything to coat the chicken well and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan on medium heat. Add black cardamom, green cardamoms, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and sliced red onion. Stir and cook for a few minutes until the onion turns golden brown.
- Add in smoked paprika, coriander powder, cayenne pepper powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder. Mix everything and cook for 1 minute until the powdery taste is gone.
- Add in tomato, ginger and garlic. Mix well and cook for a few minutes until the tomato becomes mushy.
- Add in previously prepared chicken. Mix and coat the chicken well with the mixture. Add in yogurt and mix everything good and bring it to a simmer. Cover the pan with a lid and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Stir now and then.
- Adjust salt if needed and serve hot with some rice or kulcha bread. Enjoy!
Calories: 292.9kcal, Carbohydrates: 15g, Protein: 36.3g, Fat: 10.1g, Saturated Fat: 3.2g, Cholesterol: 166.4mg, Sodium: 972.9mg, Potassium: 822.4mg, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 6.1g, Calcium: 153.6mg, Iron: 3.6mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @elmundoeats and tag #elmundoeats!
This was amazing
I skipped out on the yoghurt and accidentally put 1tbsp instead of 1tsp of coriander. It was delicious all the same. Felt like it was missing a flavour kick so I threw in a chicken stock cube. Switched out Cayenne for Kashmiri powder for authenticity and changed the smoked paprika to sweet paprika. This is definitely going in my recipe book!
Bea & Marco says
So happy to know you liked it! It's great that you adapted it to your taste and thank god the coriander was not overpowering for you 🙂
Bea, I made it using coconut milk like you suggested. It was so so so delicious.
THANKS for sharing this recipe 🙂
Ahh that's great! This is one of my favourite curry 😀 Thanks Norman!
Lori A Edixon says
How do you make variation without ypugurt ??
Thank you 🙂
You can use coconut milk instead but add it in at the end, adjust the quantity to your liking. Add some water to the chicken before put it to simmer. Hope it helps 🙂