A healthier version of shumai. Homemade steam chicken and shrimp shumai with its dipping sauce. Now you can easily prepare them in your own kitchen, for your loved ones.
Chicken and Shrimp Shumai
- 10 oz minced chicken (300 g)
- 5 oz shrimps (150 g), peeled, deveined and minced
- 8 gr dry shitake , soaked until soft, drained and chopped
- ⅓ cup spring onion , chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 4 teaspoon corn flour
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 25 wonton wrapper sheets
- 1 small carrot grated
The dipping sauce
- In a bowl, add in all ingredients for dipping sauce. Mix well and it's ready.
The shumai filling
- In a bowl, add in all ingredients for shumai except wonton wrappers and grated carrot. Mix everything well to combine.
- Cut the 4 edges or corners of the square wonton wrappers (skip if you're using round wonton wrappers). This is to ensure beautiful same height of shumai's top.
- Take a piece of wonton wrapper. Wet the surrounding with water, this will act as glue when folding later. Place the wonton wrapper between your thumb and index finger. Put some filling on it and press down, keep putting more filling until the top of the wrapper. Use the back of a spoon to level off the filling. Place some grated carrot on top. Repeat until your finish all the filling. - See video for better understanding
- Brush the base of your steamer (mine is plastic) with some sesame oil. Place the shumai inside and steam for 15 minutes or until fully cooked. Best served as soon as they got out from the steamer. Enjoy!