If you think that you need to deep-fry your chicken wings to get them crispy, well let me tell you that you're totally wrong. And that's good because there's an even easier way to enjoy crispy wings, which is by baking them!
Yep, you heard me right. These crispy baked lemon pepper wings are as crispy as fried ones. No kidding! Not only that, they are even healthier since no deep-frying is involved.
Texture and flavour - Crispy baked in the oven chicken wings with amazing buttery lemon and pepper flavour.
Size - Enough to snack on for 2-3 people.
Level - Super easy, time saving because you don't need to baby-sit them while frying.
Occasion - Perfect appetiser (make sure to double or triple the recipe) for family gatherings or just chilling in the weekend with your other half.
Lets Talk Ingredients
Chicken wings - Wings or wingettes, they work amazing.
Baking powder - It's the secret ingredient to make the wings super crispy. Just please make sure it's baking powder, not baking soda, alright?
Seasoning - I use garlic powder and turmeric (to emphasise the golden-brown fried colour) but you can use your own seasoning combo. No problem at all.
Why This Recipe?
Because why baby-sit the wings and fry them when you can just let the oven do its thing? Right?
This recipe is way easier, saves you time and prevents that frying smell from lingering in your kitchen. You don't need to waste abundance of oil for deep-frying.
And the best thing is, the wings come out super crispy as if they're fried! Trust me, just make this recipe and you'll never go back to frying the wings.
Tips To Get Best Crispy Wings Every Time
Follow these tips and you'll get them crispy every single time. I promise.
Room temperature - If using frozen wings, make sure they're fully thawed. Also important to make sure the wings are at room temperature, not chilled from the fridge.
Dry - Pat the wings dry. If you think you've patted them enough, give them another round of patting. We want them super dry.
High temperature - Make sure your oven is with the correct temperature. In this case it'll be 440ºF (225ºC) with convection setting. We don't want soggy or burnt wings. I use portable oven thermometer all the time to make sure my oven's with the correct temperature.
Use a rack - Bake the wings on a rack because they will release fat and we don't want them to be swimming in it, thus making them soggy.
Flip - Don't forget to flip them so that they get crispy on both sides. In fact, we will be flipping them 2 times.
Cook them long enough - They won't dry out as easy due to their fat content, so cook them long enough until they get crispy.
If you love these lemon pepper wings then we think you'd also love our delicious hot dog mummies!
- Honey sriracha chicken (crispy baked!)
- Quick 30-minute massaman chicken curry
- Chicken satay with peanut sauce
- Slow cooker Chicken rendang curry
- Healthier orange chicken
Crispy Baked Lemon Pepper Wings
- 2 small bowls
- 1 huge bowl
- Baking tray
- Baking rack
- Aluminium foil
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder , NOT baking soda
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 lb chicken wings (450 g)
- 2 tablespoon butter (30 g), melted
- zest from 1 lemon
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients into a small bowl, mix well and set aside.
Prepping The Chicken Wings
- Prepare a rack on a baking tray that has been lined with aluminium foil. Spray the rack with some oil. Set aside.
- Wash the chicken wing, drain and place them in a huge bowl. Pat them really dry with some kitchen paper.
- Then sprinkle the seasoning on top. Using your hand, coat the wingettes well with the seasoning. Place them on the prepared rack with some space in between.
Baking Them Crispy
- Bake in a preheated oven with convection setting at 440ºF (225ºC) for 20 minutes, use the middle rack.
- Remove from the oven and flip the wings. Continue baking for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and flip them for one last time. Continue baking for 10 minutes more or until crispy.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add lemon zest, butter, black pepper and salt in to another small bowl and mix well. Add in the chicken and coat them well. Serve immediately.
- Use a portable oven thermometer to get the accurate temperature for your oven (I use it all the time).
- Make sure to pat the wings dry, bake them at the correct temperature, and don't forget to flip them.
- Make your own by using the seasonings that you love.
Originally published on Jun 6, 2019. Updated with improved text, recipe and pictures on Jul 22, 2021.