Ok today is all about these scrumptious crispy baked lemon pepper wings.
Yes, it's a mouthful sentence but just wait until you have a bite of this in your mouth.
Oh la la!
How To Get Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
I didn't come up with this secret ingredient. Apparently it was introduced by American Test Kitchen few years back. I'm so grateful that they did because these baked chicken wings are darn crispy!
The secret to crispy baked chicken wings is using baking powder and coat the chicken wings well with it.
Yes, baking powder. NOT baking soda, please.
I don't understand the scientific reason behind it so I did some testings with some other combinations.
The combinations were corn starch only, baking powder with corn starch and baking powder only.
Just to see, you know. And yep, baking powder won! 😉
You might think it's super weird ingredient to use in this recipe (don't worry, I thought it was weird too until now even 😀 ) but hey, it works!
And the other most important thing is, it doesn't leave you with some weird taste.
Pat Them Dry
I feel like this is not something new but it's good to say it anyway.
Make sure you pat your chicken wings super dry, alright?
Yes, baking them on high temperature helps to get that crispy skin while not baking them dry.
Flip And Flip Again
I highly recommend you to flip them twice during the cooking time.
This will ensure both sides are crispy.
To take these crispy wings to another level, I also added some seasoning with the baking powder. Turmeric really helps bring out the beautiful golden colour.
Instead of buying lemon seasoning I thought why don't just make it myself. It's super easy.
I hope you'll give this recipe a try. It's an amazing finger food to enjoy with the family!
These crispy baked lemon pepper chicken wings are:
- as crispy as fried ones!
- avoid making a mess and babysit them while frying
- super delicious, seriously
- perfect fun finger food
- can be personalised to your liking by using your favourite sauce instead
Before You Go
Here are some recipes that you might be interested to check out also:
- Honey sriracha chicken (crispy baked!)
- Chicken satay with peanut sauce
- Slow cooker Chicken rendang curry
- Healthier orange chicken
Crispy Baked Lemon Pepper Wings
- ¾ tsp baking powder , NOT baking soda
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 lb chicken wingettes (450 g)
- 2 tbsp butter (30 g), melted
- zest from 1 lemon
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients into a bowl, mix well and set aside.
Prepping The Chicken Wings
- Prepare a rack on a baking tray that has been lined with aluminium foil. Spray the rack with some oil. Set aside.
- Wash the wingettes, drain and place them in a wide container. Pat them really dry with some kitchen paper.
- Then sprinkle the seasoning on top. Using your hand, coat the wingettes well with the seasoning. Place them on the prepared rack with some space in between.
Baking Them Crispy
- Bake in a preheated oven with convection setting at 440ºF (225ºC) for 20 minutes, use the middle rack.
- Remove from the oven and flip the wingettes. Continue baking for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and flip them for one last time. Continue baking for 10 minutes more or until crispy.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add lemon zest, butter, black pepper and salt in to a bowl and mix well. Add in the chicken and coat them well. Serve immediately.
Tips On How To Bake Them Crispy
- Please refer to my post above on how to get them crispy with such easy steps.