Today I'm sharing with you a delicious healthy recipe of ginger steamed fish.
Have you tried?
This is one of the meals that we love to enjoy whenever we want to get back on track with food after some celebrations. By celebrations I meant this coming Christmas and New Year.
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Everything I mention in this post is what I personally use and recommend.
What Type Of Fish To Use
I would recommend a mild tasting type of fish like the one that I'm using in this recipe which is sea bream.
You can use sea bass, hake or cod. Personally I would not use salmon as the taste is quite strong for this mild meal.
As you can see in the video recipe below, I'm using a whole fish with bones. For me the fish tastes more delicious when you cook it with its bones.
Not only for steaming, generally in all meals. So if you're not fussy about the bones, by all means use whole fish.
But if you don't feel like dealing with the bones, then use fillets. It's not against any rules, alright?
Like I always say, do what's convenient to you.
Just know that fillets cook faster than whole fish though, so keep your eye on the time.
This is the sauce base for the steamed fish. I'm using fish sauce, soy sauce, water, coconut sugar and sesame oil.
You can skip the fish sauce and use only soy sauce.
Adjust the amount of lime juice to your taste.
Use brown sugar or normal sugar instead of coconut sugar.
Add a dash of white pepper powder if you like. Make it yours.
How To Eat This Steamed Fish
This meal is best served straight away when it's piping hot.
Serve this delicious healthy ginger steamed fish with some white or brown rice.
Complete the whole dish with some steamed broccoli or green beans and you will feel super satisfied.
As you can see in the recipe video below, this is a super easy recipe and it's also healthy!
Do give it a try.
Before You Go
If you're looking for more healthy recipes, maybe you want to check these out.
- Quick turmeric lentil stew
- Healthy orange chicken
- Cauliflower nasi goreng
- Instant pot congee
- Asian chicken noodles soup
Ginger Steamed Fish
- 1 lb sea bream (450 gr), prepped
- 1 lemongrass , bruised
- some spring onion , julienned
- 2 thumb sized ginger , julienned
- 1 chili , sliced
- some coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoon sunflower oil
- Place lemongrass inside the fish cavity. Place the fish in a steamer that has been preheated on high heat. Steam fish for 15 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Add all sauce ingredients into a bowl, mix well and set aside.
- Once the fish is fully cooked, transfer it to a serving plate. Place the garnish on top.
- Heat sunflower oil until very hot. Carefully pour on top of fish, making sure to cover all the garnish. Lastly pour the sauce all over. Serve immediately with some rice. Enjoy!