Who doesn't like pastry cream, right? I mean, seriously.
Being one of the simplest classic fillings for all kinds of sweets and desserts, pastry cream is known and loved everywhere, regardless where you are.
This recipe only calls for 6 ingredients, or even 5 if you want to. It's my version of a healthier pastry cream.
Texture and flavour - Thick and smooth cream with creamy vanilla flavours and mild sweetness.
Size - around 1 cup (250 ml).
Level - Easy, although do pay attention to the heat strength while cooking it. When in doubt, go low.
Lets Talk Ingredients
Milk - Use full fat milk, you won't regret it. Semi skimmed also works.
Sweetener - I use erythritol. You can use any dry sweetener like Stevia. Powdered sugar or granulated sugar also works, although that would stray away from making this healthier. Also, adjust the amount to your liking. I personally prefer it not too sweet.
Yolks - Find the best, most yellow/orange yolk that you can. This is what's going to bring that lovely yellow colour to our pastry cream.
Vanilla - If you can find vanilla pod, then great for you, use that. If not, some good old vanilla extract will do (I use it).
Corn starch - For thickening our pastry cream. You can also use potato starch or all purpose flour.
Cream - I use a 35% fat for that boost of creaminess. Just a bit goes a long way. You could omit this and use milk instead.
What Is It Used For
Well, a lot! You can use it on anything that your imagination can think of. It's sturdy enough that you can easily pipe or decorate using it.
If you need a vanilla filling, then use this pastry cream.
How Long Does It Keep
Store in the fridge up to 3 days. It will set in the fridge or when it's cold so before using, give it a whisk to bring out its silky creamy texture.
You can also freeze it, up to 3 weeks.
More Healthy Recipes
- No-bake mango lassi cheesecake
- Carrot cake muffins with frosting
- Zucchini chocolate cake with frosting
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Apple oatmeal muffins
Healthier Vanilla Pastry Cream
- 2 large yolks
- 2 tablespoon sweetener
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- ¾ cup full fat milk (190 ml)
- ¼ cup cream 35% fat (60 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Use a big bowl and whisk yolks, sweetener and corn starch until they become a thick paste, using a handheld whisk. Set aside.
- Use a heavy bottom pot, heat milk and cream until it just starts to simmer. Turn heat off.
- Pour bit by bit all the milk cream into egg mixture while whisking. Then pour everything back into the pot (I clean it beforehand).
- Cook on low medium heat until the mixture thickens, while whisking the whole time. Once thickened, turn the heat off. Add in vanilla extract and mix everything together.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with cling film, making sure it touches the pastry cream. Leave to cool to room temperature. Chill for 1-2 hours in the fridge. Whisk before using to get back its silky creamy texture.