Any type of celebrations can be made in a healthier way and yet not taking away the joyful of that particular celebration. Am I right?
Being mindful of the ingredients that we use is a huge step in adapting to a healthier lifestyle. Let's take these healthy chocolate tarts for example.
Their calories might be the same as the typical chocolate tarts and you might think, why bother then. But let's bear in mind that these ingredients are way better and healthier.
And let me tell you, they are scrumptious!
Texture and flavour - Crispy coconuty chocolate base with decadent creamy chocolate coconut ganache.
Size - 2 small tarts that can be shared between 4-6 people.
Level - Super easy. Just blend the base and whisk the filling.
Lets Talk Ingredients
Cocoa powder - Use natural unsweetened one. You can skip it, no problem.
Coconut oil - I use melted coconut oil. You can totally use it in solid form.
SUBSTITUTION: Use any other oil that you prefer. Avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil, you choose. You can also use melted butter.
Desiccated coconut - Unsweetened ones. They come in different forms, some are coarse and some are fine. It doesn't matter as long as they're unsweetened.
Chocolate - I use dark chocolate 60% cacao sweetened with stevia. You can use whichever that you prefer. Just know that the darker it is, the bitter taste is more profound.
Coconut milk - I use full fat premium Thai coconut milk, which is creamy. I recommend using full fat as it helps in setting the chocolate filling.
Honey - Whichever you prefer. You can also use maple syrup.
Give them your own twist by adding your favourite toppings. Do try and let me know what you think!
More Healthy Sweets
- Strawberry cheesecake shots
- Invisible apple cake (70% fruit)
- Peach upside down cake (4 ingredients)
- Carrot cake muffins
- Chocolate chip cookies
Healthy Chocolate Tarts
- ½ cup instant oats (35 g)
- ½ cup desiccated coconut (50 g)
- ½ tbsp natural cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp honey (40 g)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 oz chocolate 60% cacao with stevia (110 g), chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk (125 ml)
- Preheat oven at 350ºF (175ºC) using conventional mode with upper and lower heat.
- Add oats, desiccated coconut and cocoa powder into a food processor bowl and blend until you get a fine mixture. Now add in honey and coconut oil, continue to blend until everything comes together. Divide the mixture evenly into 2 x 4 inch (10 cm) non stick tart moulds. Press evenly to the sides and bottom, using the back of a spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes on lower ⅔ rack. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely before carefully flipping the tart moulds to remove the shells. Place them on a parchment paper, on a baking tray. Set aside.
- Add coconut milk into a pot and heat on medium heat until it's starting to boil. Pour into a bowl that contains the chopped chocolate and leave for 30 seconds. Using a whisk, mix everything together until you get a thick chocolate mixture.
- Pour evenly into the tarts and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes or until the filling is fully set. Place some berries on top, slice and serve!
- Double the recipe for a 9 inch tart pan.
- Use spoon and level method (for cup measurement)
- Use portable oven thermometer (like this one) for a more precise temperature reading (I use it too)
- Refer to my post above for tips and substitutions