My version of a healthier and delicious Orange Chicken, no deep frying needed and they taste amazing. Easy to make in the convenience of your own home. Prepare some rice and you're set for a wonderful lunch or dinner.
Healthier Orange Chicken
- 1.3 lb boneless and skinless chicken thighs (600 g), cut into bite size pieces
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- pinch of salt
- 1 thumb size ginger , minced
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (375 ml)
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon water
Preparing the chicken
- In a bowl, add the chicken thighs, egg white, corn flour, white pepper, salt and mix well to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes.
Let's get cooking
- Heat some olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Brown the chicken, you might need to do this in batches. Remove and set aside.
- Add a bit more oil to the pan. Add in ginger, garlic and cook until they're golden brown. Add in the chicken, orange juice, chili flakes, chicken bouillon powder, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, honey, orange zest and stir everything together.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce reduces in half. Mix corn starch with water and add in the mixture. Stir immediately and cook until the sauce thickens. Ready to serve.