Simple and easy homemade lemon curd. Brilliant color and amazing taste, I would say. This lemon curd is great to put as a topping for my delish no-bake lemon cheesecake. Perfect match!
I have made lemon curd various times before and after a few adjustments, this is the taste, texture and color that my whole family likes. We love the vibrant yellow color, creamy texture and ohhh that tangy lemony taste.
The ingredients for this lemon curd, well any lemon curd actually, is so simple. It cannot go more basic than that. Well except if you go and grab a jar of lemon curd in the supermarket.
There’s one thing though. You can choose to sift your lemon curd, or if you’re like me, then why bother. It’s wonderful to have those tiny specs of lemon zest in the curd. Or if for some reason you see there are lumps in your curd, then of course by all means sift it.
This lemon curd is excellent with my no-bake lemon cheesecake, I think maybe you would want to check it out.
- 2 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 gr)
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup lemon juice (190 ml)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter (75 gr), cold and cut into cubes
- In a bowl, add in all ingredients except for the cold butter. Mix everything to combine. Set aside.
- Put some water in a pot, around 2 inches (5 cm) high and bring it to a simmer. Place the bowl with egg mixture on top of the pot, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water.
- Stir and cook until the mixture thickens, around 10-15 minutes. It's ready when it coats the back of a spoon. Optional: sift to get a smoother texture. I don't because I love the zest in the curd.
- Remove the bowl from the stove. While still hot, add in cold cubed butter. Mix until the butter is melted and fully combined.
- Cover with cling film, letting the cling film touching the surface of the curd. Leave to cool at room temperature and then chill in the fridge. Enjoy this with my no-bake lemon cheesecake, it's awesome!