Learn how to make an easy homemade pumpkin pie spice mix. It's very easy and fast to make, using the spices that we already have in the kitchen. It's perfect for comforting fall recipes like our healthy mini pumpkin pies and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
Why This Recipe Works
With this recipe, you'll get an amazing spice blend in just less than 5 minutes. It's so aromatic and flavorful to be used in your favorite fall recipes. Here's why we always make our own blend.
- Easy. It's basically just mixing all the spices with a spoon. That's it!
- Using basic ingredients in the pantry. These are the spices that we normally already have in our kitchen. No need to buy another jar of spice when we can simply make one with what we already have.
- Stays fresher. This homemade pumpkin pie spice recipe yields 5 tbsp. A smaller amount means we'll finish it faster and it doesn't sit for months in the pantry and lose its fragrance and taste.
Ingredients For This Recipe
I'd highly recommend using fresh spices to get the most aromatic fragrance for our spice blend. The longer the spices sit in the pantry, the more they lose their beautiful fragrance and flavor, and that's not ideal, right?
These are the simple ingredients to make it.
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Ground allspice - Allspice is ground Jamaican berries, not a blend of spices. If you can't find it, then use a Chinese five-spice blend. It's not exactly the same but it works.
⭐ See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How To Make Pumpkin Pie Spice
1. Mix. Add all the spices in a bowl and mix well using a spoon.
2. Store. Pour the spices into a small air-tight jar. I find using a small funnel helps the process not to be messy. But of course, using a small spoon accompanied with a bit of care will definitely work.
How To Use Pumpkin Pie Spice
This spice blend is a mix of warm and cozy spices, and it's perfect to use in fall recipes. It elevates the flavor of pumpkin in baking and drinks. We use a significant amount of it in our chewy pumpkin cookies and pumpkin cheesecake brownies, and they're so amazingly delicious!
So if you're making anything with pumpkins, I highly recommend adding this DIY pumpkin spice. You won't believe how it brings everything up a notch.
In a pinch, it's also suitable to substitute cinnamon in baking recipes. The baking will have a hint of a slightly warmer taste to it, due to the spice blend.
Recipe Expert Tips
- Use fresh spices. This is to get the most aromatic and flavorful blend. The longer the spices sit in the pantry, the less aromatic and flavorful they are.
- Store in an air-tight container. This is to keep our spice blend as fresh as possible.
How To Store
Make sure to store our pumpkin pie spice blend in an air-tight jar or container. This will ensure its freshness. Its fragrance and wonderful taste will not diminish fast. This spice blend lasts up to 1 year.
Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of spices consisting of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice. It adds a touch of warm and cozy flavor to baking and drinks.
Allspice is ground-dried Jamaican berries. Pumpkin spice is a blend of spices that combines allspice and other spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, and ginger.
It lasts up to a year in an air-tight container. However, I prefer making a small amount of this blend so that it doesn't sit for a long time in the pantry because then it'll start to lose its aromatic fragrance and beautiful flavor.
Recipes To Use It With
If you tried this Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice or any other recipe on our website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let us know how it went in the comments below!
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 3 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground clove
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Mix all of the spices in a bowl using a spoon. Store in an air-tight container.
Originally published on Sep 18, 2017. Updated with improved text, recipe, and pictures on Oct 20, 2023.