I mean, why stick to the same thing when you can try something new, right? And this individual basil chicken pot pie recipe is just something you need to make!
Chicken pot pie is a classic dish, that's true. But it's refreshing now and then to bring new flavour and touch to the classics. There's so many ways to enjoy this amazing dish that there's nothing right or wrong to it.
I'm giving it an Asian touch but I promise you that they will taste equally delicious, if not more 😉, and will guarantee to wow your family and friends.
Texture and flavour - Crispy puff pastry with creamy delicious filling of green curry chicken with colourful peppers, sweet potatoes and lots of basils. A touch of sweet and sour, perfectly balance.
Size - 3 individual pot pie of 6 inch (15 cm).
Level - Easy. The hardest thing is doing the chopping, and that's telling you something.
Occasion - Perfect for the cold weather when you want some piping hot creamy deliciousness and when you don't want to make lots. It's perfect to serve during gatherings (double or triple the recipe) as they already come in individual bowls.
Lets Talk Ingredients
Chicken - Thighs, I simply love them. They're juicy and tender compared to chicken breast. But of course, you can use chicken breast.
Veggies - Love the wonderful colours of red and yellow bell peppers, matched with the orange sweet potato and green peas. You can use whatever veggies you prefer, of course. Just try not to use lots (or all) of the same type that releases lots of liquid like zucchini and mushroom. We don't want the pot pie to be too liquidy.
Green curry paste - I've been using this brand for several years and am totally happy with it. It's a strong paste so a bit is just enough. Adjust to your liking, more if yours is mild.
Fish sauce - Don't be scared of it. It's full of flavour, umami. Your chicken pot pie will not taste fishy, I promise.
SUBSTITUTION: Use the same amount of less salt soy sauce.
Kefir lime leaves - It gives that lovely limey touch to the dish. You can easily find them in Asian stores either in the frozen or fresh/produce section.
SUBSTITUTION: Grate in 1 lime zest when the whole dish is cooked and mix well.
Watch How To Make It
Individual Basil Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 cup small red bell pepper (120 g), in small pieces
- 1 cup small yellow bell pepper (120 g), in small pieces
- 1 cup sweet potato (140 g), small cubes
- ⅓ cup frozen green peas (50 g)
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- 1 casserole pot
- 3x6 inch oven safe bowls
- Cut out circles the size of the bowls. I'm using 6 inch (15 cm) bowls that can hold 1 ⅔ cup liquid (400 ml).
- Chill them in the fridge meanwhile.
- Have the veggies all chopped up and set aside.
- Preheat oven at 400ºF (200ºC). Season chicken with salt and pepper and brown them (in batches if needed) in a hot pan with some oil. Set aside.
- Turn heat to medium, add curry paste with a splash of coconut milk. Mix well and cook for 1-2 minutes. Now add in all the veggies, kefir lime leaves, fish sauce and coconut sugar.
- Stir and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender. Finally add in lime juice, basil leaves and give it one last stir, check for seasoning. Discard kefir lime leaves.
- Divide evenly between 3 bowls. Work fast in this step. Place puff pastry on top and brush them with egg wash.
- Bake on middle rack for 20-25 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown. Serve immediately!