Do you feel like eating that sardine curry together with a bowl of hot white rice or dip some bread in its sauce?
I bet you would never guess that this sardine curry is made out of canned sardines. Yep!
Well today I'm sharing this easy and delicious sardine curry that I know you will also love.
Canned Sardine Curry And Me
This is one of the meals that I learnt to make while growing up.
It's considered as a fast and easy recipe in our household. And not to mention cheap.
I remember when growing up we were not so blessed financially. At times my mother had to resort to canned sardines instead of buying fresh ones since fresh ones were always more expensive.
I still remember what my father called them, caged fish, he said.
My mother didn't only use canned sardine to make curry. She made many other meals with it. Spicy with soy sauce, spicy with chillies and coconut milk, filling for sandwiches.. just to name a few.
So I learnt that canned sardine can be turned into many delicious meals.
Canned food doesn't need to be boring or frown upon. If you know how to jazz up your canned food, the outcome meals could be delicious.
For this recipe, feel free to use whatever brand. You can also use mackerel or tuna instead or sardine. No problem at all.
Whatever that you choose, just make sure to get the ones that come with tomato sauce though. We want to incorporate that delicious tomato sauce into our easy and fast curry.
I like to buy mine in our nearby Aldi store. I usually have a few cans stored in our pantry cupboard for whatever reasons.
What To Eat It With
In my family we always have this delicious curry with white rice. And some sweet soy sauce. Try it, the combination is just delicious.
You can always have this curry with some rice or any type of flat bread. You would want something to soak up all the curry sauce. Yum!
I hope you'll give this super easy yet delicious sardine curry a try. Let me know what you think.
More Curry Recipes
If you're into curries, maybe you would want to check out these recipes:
- Chickpeas curry
- Slow cooker chicken rendang curry
- Spiced chicken with coconut milk
- Red curry laksa noodle soup
- some olive oil
- ½ tsp fish seasoning spices (fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, fennel seeds & cumin seeds)
- ¼ red onion , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , cut into matchsticks
- ½ inch ginger , cut into matchsticks
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ cup water (125 ml)
- 8.4 oz canned sardines in tomato sauce (240 g)
- 1 cup coconut milk (250 ml)
- 4 okras
- pinch of salt
- 2 red chilies , slitted lengthwise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat some olive oil in a pot. Add in fish seasoning spices and cook until they release their fragrances. Add in onion, garlic and ginger. Cook until they're golden brown. Add in curry powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Add in water, mix and cook until it thickens, stirring now and then.
- Add in sardines together with the tomato sauce, coconut milk, okras, pinch of salt and mix everything together. Bring to a simmer and cook until the okras are soft. Add in chilies, lemon juice and give it a stir. Cook for another 1-2 minutes and it's ready to serve.