I'm bringing you these healthy buns with cheese dip so that you know eating healthy doesn't mean our food needs to be sad and boring. Not at all.
Look at these whole wheat buns for example. You wouldn't expect that they are made with healthy natural ingredients if I didn't tell you. Right?
Come on, let's be happy, healthy and check out this yummilicious recipe!
These buns are made with:
- 100% whole wheat flour
- natural sweetener
Taste and texture - Light and fluffy buns (we don't make dense bread here) with varieties of flavourful cheeses!
Size - 12 buns. Perfect snack for a small family or group of friends.
Level - Easy and fun. I let my trusty machine do all the hard work.
Lets Talk Ingredients
Flour - This recipe is made to use whole wheat flour. So don't change it. You could use bread flour but you might need to adjust the liquid amount (refer to the consistency in my video below).
Honey - Helps give the buns that flexible texture, so it's not only as a natural sweetener. Don't worry, it's just a hint of sweetness. You barely taste it.
SUBSTITUTION: Use the same amount of maple syrup or any type of sugar.
Cheeses - I use a combination of parmesan and mozzarella. I've used cheddar also and it worked amazing. Use your easy-melt favourite cheese, no problem.
TIP: Make sure they're shredded and at room temperature so that they melt faster in the oven as the buns don't take long to cook.
Spinach - Frozen, thawed spinach works the best in this recipe. It's even more convenient. You can also use canned artichoke hearts, just chop them up.
Curry paste - I use strong spicy red curry paste. You can adjust the amount to your liking. You can also use pesto instead.
Seeds - I use sesame seeds but feel free to use whatever seeds that you prefer. Or simply skip them.
Can I Knead It By Hand?
My answer would be, yes you could.
Standing mixers didn't exist back then and yet people get to make and enjoy delicious homemade bread regardless.
Having said that, I should warn that this dough is on the sticky side. It will take you more effort in kneading it by hand, definitely. Greasing your hands with some oil now and then would help.
More Healthy Breads
- Whole wheat English muffins
- Fast No Knead Multi-Seed Bread
- No Knead Cheese Whole Grain Bread
- Everything Bagel Pull Apart Bread
- Whole Grain Wheat Spelt Bread
Skillet Pull Apart Whole Wheat Buns (With Cheese Dip)
- 2 ½ cup whole wheat flour (325 g)
- 2 ¼ tsp instant yeast (7 g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey (20 g)
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- ½ cup full fat warm milk (125 ml)
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter (75 g), soften in cubes
- 1 tbsp red curry paste , I use strong spicy paste
- 2 oz cream cheese (55 g), room temperature
- 2 oz frozen spinach (55 g), thawed
- ⅔ cup shredded parmesan (55 g), room temperature
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (100 g) , room temperature
- 1 egg , beaten for egg wash
- some white and black sesame seeds
- Add all ingredients except butter, into a standing mixer bowl. Using a hook attachment, mix to incorporate and then knead for 10 minutes. Now add the butter bit by bit until everything is well mixed and then continue to knead for another 10 minutes. The dough will be sticky.
- Scrape the dough into a greased bowl using a silicon scrapper. Cover the bowl tightly and leave at room temperature until the dough rises double its size.
- Add red curry paste, cream cheese into a bowl and mix well using a spatula. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until everything is well incorporated. Set aside at room temperature.
Assembling & Baking
- Preheat oven at 350ºF (175ºC) using conventional mode, upper and lower heat. Grease a 10 ¼ inch iron cast skillet with some butter. Grease also the bottom and side of a 6 inch (15 cm) cake pan. Set aside.
- Once risen, place dough on a working surface and lightly knead into a log. Divide it evenly into 12 pieces and form each piece into a ball. Place the balls inside the skillet, touching the side and creating an empty space in the middle. Gently place the cake pan in it.
- Cover with a kitchen cloth and leave for 30 minutes or until the buns have puffed a bit. Remove the cake pan and pour the filling in its place. Finally brush the buns with some egg wash and then sprinkle both sesame seeds on top.
- Bake on lower ⅔ rack for 30 minutes or until the buns look golden brown and fully cooked. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
- Use spoon and level method (for cup measurement)
- Use portable oven thermometer (like this one) for a more precise temperature reading (I use it too)
- Refer to my post above for tips and substitutions