What is Keralan seafood curry?
Kerala is a state in the south west of India. Kerala or Keralan cuisine frequently uses mustard seeds, turmeric, chillies and onions as the main ingredients. It has a wide range of non-vegetarian and vegetarian dishes using seafood, red meat and poultry.
Rice is usually eaten as an accompaniment for the dishes.
This Keralan curry is my version of one of the curries originated from there.
My version of Keralan seafood curry
I LOVE curries. In my country, Malaysia, we have varieties of curries. Our curries usually involve using some type of curry powder in the cooking process. Thus the thicker curry taste.
This Keralan curry is quite opposite to the curries that I’ve eaten in my country. Both in preparation and taste.
This curry is easier to make as it’s very straight forward with less amount of ingredients and it doesn’t take any type of curry powder. The taste, for me personally, is so fresh and soothing. The simplicity of the ingredients and method don’t take away the taste at all, it’s perfect the way it is.
For this curry I used tilapia fish, some calamari and prawns. You can of course switch them for any seafood that you like. I’ve tried with salmon and it was great also. So it’s your choice.
You can watch the video above on the process of how to make this simple and delicious curry. Don’t forget to cook a huge pot of white rice to go with it because you will need it. Maybe you would also be interested in my other curries videos like this beef curry and chicken curry. Enjoy!
Watch how to make Keralan seafood curry in the video below:
Keralan Seafood Curry
- some olive oil
- 1 heap tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 thumb sized ginger , finely minced
- 4 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 2 green chillies , sliced
- 2 yellow onions , cut into cubes
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 200 gr calamari , cut into 1 inch pieces
- 300 ml water
- 500 gr white fish meat
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 16 prawns , peeled and deveined
- 2 ripe tomatoes , peeled and cut into chunks
- 80 gr spinach
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- coriander leaves , to put on top
- lime wedges
- In a casserole pan, heat some olive oil on medium heat. Add in mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, minced ginger, minced garlic, green chilies and cook until the ginger and garlic are golden brown. Stir occasionally to prevent them getting brown.
- Add in cubed onion and generous pinch of salt. Cook until the onion is soft, stir occasionally. Add in turmeric powder, chilli powder and calamari. Stir everything and cook for 1 minute until the powdery taste is gone.
- Add in water and give it a quick stir to mix everything. Place in tilapia meat and coconut milk. Stir gently & leave it to simmer until the fish is half cooked.
- Add in prawns, tomato and spinach. Gently push in the spinach and continue cooking until the prawns and fish are fully cooked. Add in lemon juice and check the seasoning. Turn the heat off and enjoy! Sprinkle with some coriander leaves and lime wedges and eat with white rice!