Chicken in soy sauce with a touch of spices, Malaysian style. This meal is also known as ayam masak kicap in Malaysia.
A classic chicken dish cooked with soy sauce that everybody knows and every house has its own version and this is mine. You need some rice to go with this, it’s a must 😀
Watch how to make this chicken in soy sauce in the video below:
Malaysian Chicken in Soy Sauce
- 1 onion , medium size, cut into chunks
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 2 piece chicken thighs , boneless and skinless, cut into 2 inches chunks
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce , or ketchup
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- 1 onion , cut into rings
- 1 green chilli , sliced
- 1 red chilli , sliced
- In a mortar, pound the onion, garlic and ginger into a paste. Set aside. You can also use a blender or food processor.
- Add some salt and turmeric to the chicken pieces and mix well to coat. Set aside.
- Using high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil in a pan. When the pan is really hot, add in chicken pieces and leave them untouched for 2-3 minutes to get nice crust. Flip and cook for another minute. Take them out from the pan and set aside. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add in cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves and star anise into pan. Stir for a few seconds to release their fragrance. Add in the onion paste mixture and chilli powder. Mix well and cook until it becomes soft.
- Add in water, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, tomato sauce, sugar and browned chicken, mix well. Cook for 5 minutes until the sauce reduces and slightly thickens.
- Add in onion rings, green and red chilli. Cook until onion rings are soft. Ready to serve.