An extremely simple version with less ingredients for making a pandan roll cake. The filling for this roll cake is my homemade srikaya pandan (coconut jam) together with cream cheese frosting. The coconut flakes are great to go with all those flavors.
Watch how to make pandan roll cake in the video below:
Pandan Roll Cake
- 4 large egg whites , room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100 g)
- 4 large egg yolks , room temperature
- 1 tsp pandan extract
- a bit of green food coloring
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour (40 g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 7 oz full fat cream cheese (200 g), room temperature
- ¼ cup icing sugar (30 g), sifted
- ¼ cup whipping cream (60 ml), 35% fat, chilled
- some srikaya pandan (pandan coconut jam)
- some coconut flakes
- In a bowl, add in egg whites. Whisk until soft peaks, set aside.
- In another bowl, add in egg yolk, sugar and pandan extract. Mix until the mixture turns pale yellow. Add a bit of green food coloring and mix to combine.
- Sift flour and baking powder into the mixture. Mix just until well combined. Add ⅓ of egg white and mix to combine. This is to temper the mixture to make it easier to fold in the rest of egg white later. Add the rest of egg white and gently fold it in, careful not to deflate the air.
- Pour the batter into a greased and lined 9x13 inch (23x33 cm) pan. Bake at 200ºC (400ºF) in preheated oven for 9 minutes or until fully cooked and top surface is springy when touched.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes. Roll the cake together with the baking sheet and leave it to cool completely.
- In a bowl, add in cream cheese and icing sugar. Whisk until fluffy. Add in whipping cream and mix to combine.
- Unroll the cake and spread some srikaya pandan on top, leaving some empty space on the opposite side. Put some frosting on top and spread evenly, leaving some empty space on the opposite side also. Save some frosting for later.
- Roll gently and tightly. Wrap with cling film and leave to set in the fridge for a few hours.
- Cover the roll with the remaining frosting and spread evenly. Sprinkle some coconut flakes on top. You can either serve it now or put it back in the fridge to set, for 1 hour. I put it back in the fridge 🙂 . Slice to serve.