It’s been quite a while since I last posted a muffin recipe. I think it’s about time now. What more accurate than piña colada muffins, don’t you think?
Piña colada is a type of cocktail that is made with coconut milk, pineapple and rum. Known as one of the famous summer cocktails, it’s usually served with ice or blended with ice. Ok, now that I have that image in my mind.. I feel like having a tall glass of piña colada right now.
I know there are already tons of piña colada muffin recipes out there but I thought I’d share my version of it. Like red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, the world doesn’t need another one but come on. The muffins are just so good! They just need to be announced to the world! At least that’s how I feel 😀
For this recipe I’m using pineapple and coconut buttermilk as the key ingredients. Yes, you heard me right. Coconut buttermilk. It’s going to contribute to moist the muffins. Are you as excited as I am? 😀
Try these. They’re super easy to make. Enjoy!
Watch how to make piña colada muffins in the video below:
Piña Colada Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour (130 gr)
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes (40 gr)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 gr)
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut buttermilk (80 ml), room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (60 gr), room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple (80 gr), cut into small cubes
- some coconut flakes , to sprinkle on top
- Add all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together to combine. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add in all of the wet ingredients except cubed pineapple. Whisk to combine.
- Then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix everything just to combine. Don't over mix to avoid hard, dense muffins. Lastly add in cubed pineapple and fold everything together just to combine. Divide the batter evenly into 6 muffin paper cups.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400ºF (200ºC) for 15 minutes or until fully cooked. Once taken out from the oven you can sprinkle some coconut flakes on top of the muffins. Cool completely on a rack. Enjoy!