Delicious thick curry that's bursting with wonderful flavours of spices, Nasi Kandar style. If you're a fan of Nasi Kandar, then this squid curry is for you. The convenience of being able to prepare this in our own kitchen is a bless, really. It's actually a very easy recipe!
Watch how to make squid curry in the video below:
Squid Curry (Nasi Kandar Style)
- 1 red onion
- 1.1 lb whole cleaned squids (500 gr)
- 4 cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 shallots , thinly sliced
- ½ tbsp grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves , grated
- ½ cup curry powder (50 gr)
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp fennel powder
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- ¼ cup evaporated milk (60 ml)
- Blend the red onion into a fine paste and set aside.
- Insert the tentacles into the squid body, set aside.
- Heat a pan with some oil on medium heat. Add in cardamom pods, cloves, star anise and cinnamon stick. Fry for 1 minute until they release their fragrances. Add in curry leaves and shallots. Cook for a few minutes until the shallots are golden brown.
- Add in grated ginger, grated garlic, previously blended red onion, curry powder, chili powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, fennel powder and 1 cup water (250 ml). Mix everything together and cook until the mixture thickens, around 10 minutes. Stir now and then to prevent it getting burnt.
- Add another ½ cup water (125 ml) or more if you want it more saucy. Bear in mind the squids will also release some liquid. Mix everything well and adjust salt to taste.
- Add in previously prepared squids. Gently mix everything together and continue cooking for another 8-10 minutes or just until the squids are fully cooked. Once cooked, add in evaporated milk and give it one last stir and it's ready to be served. You can also use coconut milk or plain yogurt. Combine this dish with my other Nasi Kandar dishes to make your Nasi Kandar experience more complete. Enjoy!