Strawberries are everywhere now and they’re super delicious. Not to mention cheap as they are in the season. Also a good time to make your own strawberry jam don’t you agree?
A beautiful and wonderful strawberry jam is just perfect for these cheese tarts. Imagine this. Sweet and tangy flavours of the jam combined. Creamy cheese filling. Crispy and flaky tart. Enough to get you motivated to make this recipe? Well, it’s more than enough for me.
These cheese tarts bring back the memories of when I was living in Malaysia. My younger sisters and me would buy some now and then (they were not cheap) and each of us were entitled only to the ones that we bought. If one of us finished hers, she couldn’t eat from the other sisters’ portion. Haha! Yea, those days.
So these strawberry cheese tarts are for those memories 🙂
You can watch how to make strawberry cheese tarts in the video below:
Strawberry Cheese Tarts
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter (75 gr), soften
- 1/4 cup icing sugar (30 gr), sifted
- 1 egg yolk , room temperature
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour (130 gr)
- 5.3 oz cream cheese , room temperature
- 3 tbsp icing sugar (22 gr), sifted
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- some strawberry jam , please refer to link above for my homemade strawberry jam
- some red and green food coloring
- In a bowl, add in butter and icing sugar. Just using a spatula, mix everything together to combine. Then add in yolk, lemon zest and vanilla extract. Again mix to combine.
- Add in flour in 2 additions, mixing just to combine after each addition. Place the dough on a cling film, wrap it tightly and chill in the fridge for 2 hours or until it's firm.
- Take a piece of dough and press it evenly into a 2.5 inch (6.5 cm) tart mould. Cut off excess dough with a knife. Using a fork, prick the base so that it doesn't puff up while baking. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough. Place them on a baking tray. Place them in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 340ºF (170ºC) on the lowest rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. Once cooled, remove the tarts from the moulds by flipping them and tapping a bit on the back of the back of the base to help releasing them. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add in cream cheese and icing sugar. Using a whisk, mix until just combined. Then add in egg, vanilla extract and mix to combine also. Finally add in milk and mix everything together.
- Take 1 tbsp more or less, of cream cheese mixture and add some red food coloring to it. Mix well and set aside. Do the same with using green color.
- Take 1 tart shell and put some strawberry jam in it. Then spoon in the cream cheese mixture on top until the rim of the tart. Gently shake it to smooth out the surface.
- Dip the back of a chopstick or something similar in size, into red colored cream cheese mixture and make 2 dots on the tart. Using a toothpick, dip it in green colored cream cheese and make 2 lines under each red dots. Using another clean toothpick, run it across the 1 red dots and 2 green lines, creating a flower with stem and leaves. Do the same with the other dot and repeat with the rest of the tarts. Place them on a baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 340ºF (170ºC) on the lowest rack for 15 minutes or until the center sets. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours before serving. Enjoy!