Pionono or rolled cake is very famous in Argentina . It is used both in sweet and savory dishes. Basically it’s a thin soft airy plain cake that is made with using only flour, eggs, sugar and honey. You can fill it with anything you like and then roll it. Some people leave the rolled pionono for an hour or so in the fridge before slicing and serving. Some simply serve it straight away.
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Everything I mention in this post is what I personally use and recommend.
Learning to make pionono
I learnt to make pionono from my mother in law, who is Argentine and an amazing cook. Like any other great home cooks, she doesn’t measure! So it must have been annoying for her when I kept asking and measuring everything that she used. Haha!
So after a few tries of making pionono on my own, I can safely say that my pionono has a huge approval stamp from her.
- Making pionono is actually easy. You can watch the video below to see how to make it. What you need to do is whisk the sugar, eggs and honey until it reaches the ribbon stage. Having a trusty standing mixer really helps in this process as it takes quite a while.
- Also make sure your eggs are at room temperature. They whisk better.
- Honey is used in this recipe as it gives the flexibility to the pionono. That’s important when we roll it so that it doesn’t break apart.
- So after the batter has reached ribbon stage, you will need to add in the flour. Add bit by bit and very carefully fold it in to incorporate with the batter. This is because you don’t want to deflate and loose all the air in the batter. Take your time and do it slowly.
Well that’s it! Then simply pour it on a baking tray with baking sheet, bake it, let it cool down completely and use it as you desire.
Here’s a recipe of tuna pionono that I made using this pionono recipe. Enjoy!
You can watch how to make pionono in the video below:
Argentine Pionono (Roll Cake)
- 3 eggs , room temperature
- 30 gr granulated sugar
- 1 tsp honey
- 60 gr all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Line and butter a rectangle baking tray of 15x10.5 inch (39x27 cm). Set aside.
- In a stand mixer bowl, add in eggs, sugar and honey. Using the wire whip attachment, mix to incorporate slowly and then switch to high speed and whisk for 10 minutes until ribbon stage.
- Add in sifted flour and salt into the mixture in 3 additions. Gently fold in to combine after each addition. Pour batter into prepared baking tray and gently spread evenly.
- Bake using middle rack at 360ºF (180ºC) in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and the sides detach from the baking sheet, indicating that it's cooked. Remove from the oven and leave it cool completely in the tray. Once completely cooled, remove the baking sheet. Now the pionono is ready to be used. Enjoy!