Oh I have been wanting to share with you this amazing red curry laksa noodle soup for a long time already and finally the day has come 😀
This is a super fast recipe that you can easily prepare during the weekdays.
Yep yep yep.
What Is Laksa?
Laksa is a very famous dish in Malaysia and its neighbouring countries like Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei.
It’s a spicy soup that is typically served with some egg noodles, rice vermicelli noodles, chicken, shrimps and some trimmings such as tofu, bean sprouts, sambal and other herbs.
The soup can either be a fish sour soup or a rich spicy soup with coconut milk.
Hey, I have a super delicious and fast Penang asam laksa (fish soury base) soup. Want to see?
Today I’m sharing with you a laksa recipe with spicy coconut milk soup.
What Paste To Use
Since this is a quick version of this yummilicious laksa, so I’m reducing time and work by not making the laksa paste myself.
I do have a laksa recipe when I made the laksa paste from scratch though.
So in today’s recipe I’m using Thai red curry paste. Remember, we want delicious, fast and easy 😀
Thai red curry paste actually has very similar ingredients to a laksa paste. It’s just perfect because it’s so much easier to find than laksa paste.
So if you cannot find laksa paste, no worries. Simply use Thai red curry paste like I do.
Not everybody has the luck of finding abundance of Asian ingredients in their town, and yes sadly that’s me. Haha!
We will convert this already awesome Thai red curry paste and bring it closer to a laksa taste by using additional ingredients such as ginger, garlic and lots of lemongrass.
So if you’re a laksa lover and would like to make your own laksa without any hassles, do try this recipe.
You will love it, you’ll see 😉
This red curry laksa noodle soup:
- is super fast and easy to prepare
- is simply DELICIOUS and flavourful
- uses Thai red curry paste which is very similar to laksa paste and easier to find
- will fix your laksa cravings
Before You Go
Maybe you would be interested to see these recipes also:
- How to make Malaysian chili paste or sambal (a condiment in this laksa recipe)
- Noodles in sweet potato curry soup (Mee rebus)
- Malaysian style curry noodles
- Quick chicken noodle soup
- Penang char kway teow
- Quick beef pho
Watch how to make red curry laksa noodle soup in the video below:
Red Curry Laksa Noodle Soup
The Red Curry Laksa
- 4 lemongrass , bruised and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) length
- 4 garlic cloves , grated
- 2 thumb sized ginger , grated
- 1/3 cup Thai red curry paste (90 gr)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper powder
- 1/3 cup water (80 ml)
- 3 cup fish stock (750 ml)
- 1 chicken breast , thinly sliced
- 12 medium sized shrimps , head and skin on, deveined
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup coconut milk (250 ml)
The Trimmings & Others
- some fried tofu , sliced
- 2 boiled eggs
- some chili , sliced
- some coriander leaves
- some sambal , recipe link above
- 2 oz dry rice vermicelli noodles (60 gr) cooked according to packet instructions
- 5 oz dry egg noodles (140 gr) cooked according to packet instructions
The Red Curry Laksa
- Heat some oil in a pot on medium heat. Add in lemongrass, garlic and ginger. Cook until garlic and ginger turn golden brown.
- Add in red curry paste, cayenne pepper powder and water. Mix well and continue cooking for 1 minute. Then add in fish stock and chicken. Mix well and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in shrimps and continue until they are cooked. Finally add in sugar, lime juice and coconut milk. Cook for another 1 minute.
- Note: add some fish sauce if in need of salt
How To Serve
- Place some rice vermicelli and egg noodles in a bowl. Ladle in some laksa soup together with chicken and shrimps. Place half an egg, some tofu, chili, coriander leaves, sambal and lime wedges. Serve hot, enjoy!
- Note: add also some bean sprouts if you like.