Who doesn’t love cinnamon rolls, right? I mean what’s not to love about them. Soft buttery bread rolls with sugary cinnamon and chunky walnuts..yum yum!!
When autumn comes the first thing (well one of the first things 😀 ) that pops in my mind is cinnamon rolls!! I try not to bake as much during the summer because the summer here is extremely hot.
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Everything I mention in this post is what I personally use and recommend.
The dough is actually a simple one. For this bread recipe I used egg yolk and quite a bit of butter to achieve that rich and soft texture. The rest of the ingredients are sugar, salt, dry yeast and milk. To make it easier I just used my standing mixer to incorporate and knead the dough.
If you watched the video recipe you will see how straightforward it was to make the rolls. Simply roll the dough, spread some butter, sprinkle the filling and chopped walnuts. One thing though, do make sure you leave around 1 inch empty space at one edge of the rolled dough.
This is to make sure the filling doesn’t get out when you roll. The empty dough also make it easier for you to pinch the seam.
The 9 inch round pan that I used was perfect for this amount of rolls. I have made double of this recipe and I used a rectangular 13x9 inch pan. It fitted perfectly.
You can basically switch the walnuts for your favorite nuts. Or you can leave the nuts out totally. No rules, no harm done 🙂
For me personally, I love the texture of the walnuts when I bite into the roll.
And I used quite a bit of cinnamon powder because I love the taste! What is a cinnamon roll when you can barely taste the cinnamon, don’t you agree? 😉
For the glaze I added some cream cheese to give it that..well cream cheese taste. You don’t really need that much. Adjust the consistency according to your taste by adding 1 tbsp of milk at a time. For me with 2 tbsp of milk gives me the perfect consistency that we love.
And do go crazy with the glaze. Slab it generously on the rolls. Go big or go home, isn’t that what they say? 😀
Do give this walnut cinnamon rolls a try when you think of a soft buttery rolls with cinnamon sugary filling and creamy glaze.
Watch how to make cinnamon rolls with walnuts in the video below:
Cinnamon Rolls with Walnuts
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (30 gr), soften
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp raw brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅔ cup milk (150 ml), warm
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ tsp dry yeast (5 gr)
- 2 cup bread flour (260 gr)
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter (50 gr), melted
- some melted butter , for brushing
- ⅔ cup icing sugar (80 gr), sifted
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (15 gr), soften
- 1 oz cream cheese (30 gr), room temperature
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- In a bowl, add in all the filling ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- In a bowl, add in warm milk and 1 tsp granulated sugar. Give it a stir. Then sprinkle in dry yeast and give it another quick stir. Leave it to get foamy, around 3-5 minutes
- In a standing mixer bowl, add in bread flour, salt, granulated sugar, egg yolk and the 3 tbsp (50 gr) melted butter including the previously prepared yeast mixture. Mix to incorporate everything and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a ball and place it in an oiled bowl. Coat the dough with some oil to prevent crust forming on its surface. Cover the bowl tightly with cling film. Leave the dough to rise until double in size in a warm and draft free place.
- After the dough has risen to double its size, place it on a floured working surface. Press it into a square shape, more or less. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 11 inch (28 cm) square.
- Spread evenly the 2 tbsp (30 gr) soften butter on the dough, leaving out 1 inch empty space at one end. Sprinkle the previously prepared filling on top, leaving out 1 inch empty space at one end, the same we did with the soften butter. Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of the filling, taking care not to sprinkle them on the empty space that we left earlier.
- Gently roll the dough tightly until the end. Pinch the seam. Cut the rolled dough into 8 equal pieces. Arrange them in a 9 inch buttered round pan. Cover the pan loosely with a cling film and leave them to rise almost double in size.
- After they have risen to almost double in size, brush them generously with some melted butter. Bake at 175ºC (350ºF) in a preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and fully cooked.
- Remove them from the oven and proceed with preparing the glaze.
- In a bowl, add in icing sugar, butter and cream cheese. Mix everything until well combined. Add in 1-2 tbsp of milk according to your desired consistency. Mix well.
- Drizzle the glaze on the warm walnut cinnamon rolls and enjoy!