I have been asked so many times on how to substitute the ingredients in my recipes to suit my vegan readers.
I hear you my friends, yes I do.
In fact, I wrote on how to make a vegan egg substitution in my vegan scones post.
So today I’m going to share the easiest substitution ever, how to make vegan buttermilk.
Buttermilk In Baking
I wrote a post about buttermilk, you can check it out here.
Basically buttermilk creates lighter, softer and more tender baked goods by breaking down the gluten in the batter, when it reacts to baking soda. It also helps in to rise breads in quick bread recipes.
Homemade Vegan Buttermilk
You can use any non-dairy milk like coconut milk, soy milk or almond milk.
1 cup non-dairy milk (250 ml) + 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar = homemade vegan buttermilk
Very easy, isn’t it?
Here are some recipes that I use with buttermilk that you can substitute with vegan buttermilk:
- Vegan orange scones
- Pina colada muffins
- Quick double chocolate muffins
- Red velvet cake
- Fast no-knead multi seeds bread
How To Make Vegan Buttermilk
- 1 cup coconut milk (250 ml) or any non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice , or vinegar
- Pour the coconut milk into a bowl, add the lemon juice or vinegar.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes before using.