Oh frosting does bring cupcakes and hey cakes also, to another level don’t you think?
Today I’m sharing with you on how to make white frosting for cupcakes (and cakes)! Many of you have been asking for this recipe so here it is.
It’s easy and the fun part is you can adjust it to your preference!
This is what I refer to as my dreamy white frosting. I can name it as I please, right? Haha!
It’s basically a white buttercream frosting. I keep saying white not vanilla because this particular recipe doesn’t use vanilla in it.
It’s a white canvas of a frosting that you can flavour and color it to your liking.
Add coconut, vanilla or almond extract.. flavour it as you see fit.
I use this white frosting for my recent Rafaello almond coconut cupcakes the other day. Yum! Hey, have you seen them yet?
And if you like colorful frosting, then go ahead. Add in some food coloring in it.
As I mentioned earlier, you can use this as the base recipe for your frosting.
Another part that I love about this frosting is that you can adjust the thickness of the frosting according to what you’re going to use it for and the temperature at your place.
If you’re planning to pipe a tall frosting on a cupcake (like I did with my Rafaello cupcakes) then make it stiffer.
If you just want to add a dollop on top, then you can make it looser.
If your place is super hot like mine and everything melts in 2 seconds, then make it stiffer.
The bottom line is, make it according to your liking. What I’m sharing is the base recipe that you can easily personalise.
And ohh when I said about adjusting the thickness, what I meant is the amount of liquid that you add into the frosting.
In this recipe I’m simply using milk. Add bit by bit until you get your desired texture.
This white frosting is:
- versatile and can easily be personalised to your taste, texture and color
- is super easy to do, nothing super fancy or complicated
- perfect to frost cupcakes and cakes
Before You Go
Do check out these recipes also:
- Chai latte cupcakes with chai latte frosting
- Lemon loaf cake with lemon syrup and glaze
- Devil’s food cake with chocolate sour cream frosting
- Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting
- Clementine loaf cake with clementine caramel sauce
Watch how to make this white frosting below:
How To Make White Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter (226 g), room temperature
- 4 cup icing sugar (480 g), sifted
- 2-4 tbsp milk or adjust accordingly
- Add butter into a standing mixer bowl with a paddle attachment and whisk on high for 5 minutes or until very pale.
- Add in 1/2 of sugar and start mixing on a low speed first to avoid the sugar fly all over the place. Then whisk on high for 3 minutes.
- Repeat process with the rest of the sugar.
- Finally add in your flavouring, if using, together with milk. Add milk 1 tbsp at a time though. Whisk for 3 minutes and it's ready to use!
- Note: scrape the sides of the bowl now and thenThis recipe is enough to pipe on 12 to 24 cupcakes depending on the amount of frosting.
Making Sure The Frosting Is White
- Find butter that's very pale in color, not too yellow.
- Use flavouring that's transparent in color.