I know nobody can resist soft and fluffy milk buns, right? The ones that spring back after you pressed them?
Well today I'm sharing these Asian style milk buns that are exactly that. Yep yep yep!
And hey, they can also serve as dinner rolls 😉
Let's get started!
Super Soft Fluffy Pillows
They do look like super soft and fluffy pillows, right?
And if you've been following my bread recipes (or any of my recipes) then you'll know that they are all simple recipes with great results. Sorry, I don't mean to be bias but they really are 😉
And this recipe is no different. Yet another simple one that if you're a baker enthusiast like me then you'll absolutely LOVE it!
The ingredients are super basic ones in the bread world. So no surprises there.
I'm NOT even using tangzhong or water roux in this recipe. That's how easy it is.
They Are Awesome With Everything
We've eaten these super soft and fluffy buns with almost everything.
We've spread them with homemade baba ganoush, with salami or cured sausage, dipped in curry, spread with butter, spread with jam, as small sandwich buns and even plain as they are.
I will list down below my curry recipes that are simple divine to dip with these beauties 😉
So be free, enjoy them as your heart desire.
How To Get Them In Equally Beautiful Size
Usually when cutting bread dough into smaller portions, I always eyeball it. I roughly cut the dough with a dough cutter like this and that's it. No weighing nothing.
It's totally different in this case though.
If you want that beautiful equal size look then you will need to weight the dough.
What I do is I weigh it after it's risen. For this recipe it weighs around 1.7 lb (777 g). But you weigh your own dough, alright? Yours might weight slightly different than mine.
For my square tin size of 9 inch (23 cm), I like to make 25 cute buns. Which means each raw bun weighs around 1.1 oz (31 g). The size is perfect for me.
But that's just me. If you want to eyeball it, go ahead, no problem at all. Do as you want, no rules.
These soft and fluffy milk buns are:
- exactly that! Soft and fluffy!
- simple recipe with basic ingredients
- so fun to make especially when you see the look after the buns have risen. Dreamy white pillows!
- so versatile that they can be enjoyed both as sweet or savoury buns
- DELICIOUS! Yep yep yep!
Other Bread Recipes
- Whole wheat pull apart bread
- Japanese milk bread rolls
- Savoury monkey bread
- Curry bread with spinach dip
- Pumpkin dinner rolls
Soft & Fluffy Milk Buns
- 3 ½ cup bread flour (455 g)
- 1 tbsp honey (20 g)
- 1 tbsp instant yeast (10 g)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1 cup warm milk (250 ml)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (30 g), room temperature & cubed
- Add all of the ingredients except for butter in a stand mixer bowl. Mix to incorporate & then knead for 10 minutes. Add in butter bit by bit, mixing well after each addition. Then continue to knead for another 10 minutes.
- Form dough into a ball and very lightly coat it with some oil. Place in a greased bowl and cover tightly with cling film. Leave until it rises double its size.
- Loosely cover with cling film and leave until they rise double their size. Once they've risen, lightly dust some flour on top. Bake in a preheated oven at 300ºF (150ºC) for 22 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Remove from the pan by grabbing the over hanged baking sheet and lifting everything up. Cool completely on rack.
How To Cut The Dough In Equal Size For That Beautiful Final Look
- Please refer to my post above. It's super easy. If not, you can just eye ball it.
How To Serve
- These super soft and fluffy buns are great to be enjoyed as sweet or savoury buns. Spread some butter, jam, peanut butter, nutella, hummus. Dip in curries, baba ganoush, use as small sandwich buns. They are very versatile.
- Refer to my curries and homemade baba ganoush recipes above.