Who thinks it's time for another round of healthy feel-good treat? Rise your hand! No? Too shy to rise your hand? Yeah.. it's going to look weird with one hand rise up while holding a phone, isn't it?
Regardless. Even if you're silently nodding in your mind, then hey! This is it!
Healthy carrot cake muffins.
Tender and fluffy muffins that are surprisingly delicious for them being healthy. I mean, you honestly wouldn't think they are made with wholesome natural ingredients if I didn't tell you. Would you?
They look equally beautiful! Not super dense weird looking ones like we always see in the healthy sections of a supermarket.
And personally for me, the taste is just amazing. Just knowing that these beauties are made with nutritious dense ingredients and taste delicious is just a win-win situation for me.
Awesome Wholesome Ingredients
Let me break down the awesome wholesome ingredients for you:
- They have whole grain spelt flour
- Expect to find lots of carrots in them
- Also some walnuts and apple
- Natural sweetener which is honey. Use maple syrup if you want, of course.
- Less amount of oil than the typical muffins. I'm using coconut oil. Use your favourite oil.
2 Ingredients Frosting
Oh this is the easiest homemade frosting, ever. It's just cream cheese and honey.
I mean, 2 ingredients?! And hey if you don't want frosting then don't make it. No problem at all.
If you do want to make it, the good thing is you can control the sweetness to your liking, using your favourite sweetener.
Can I Freeze Them?
Yes! They freeze good, so don't worry.
I like to freeze them without the frosting though. I wrap them individually with some cling film and them place them in a ziploc bag, and into the freezer they go.
Thaw at room temperature and then frost. Or not. Your choice.
Let me know what you think.
If you're enjoying our recipes and videos, and would like to support us in what we do, show us some love and please leave us good star ratings for the recipes that you've made, in the comment below. That small action from you really helps us a lot. Thank you, guys!
Hungry For More?
Check out these healthy treats:
- Pancakes 3 ways
- Whole wheat English muffins
- Zucchini brownies
- Blueberry oatmeal muffins
- Chocolate cupcakes
Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- 2 cup whole grain spelt flour (260 g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg powder
- ½ cup full fat milk (125 ml), room temperature
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- ⅓ cup coconut oil (80 ml)
- ½ cup honey (160 g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup grated carrot (165 g)
- ½ cup grated apple (80 g)
- ½ cup walnuts (60 g), chopped
- 6 oz cream cheese (170 g), room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey (40 g), or to your liking
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Add milk and lemon juice into another bowl and leave for 10 minutes. Then add in eggs, oil, honey and vanilla extract. Mix well using a hand whisk.
- Now add in dry ingredients and mix everything together, but do not over mix it. Finally add in carrot, apple and walnut. Give it one last mix. Scoop batter evenly into lined muffin pans. This recipe yields 16 muffins.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF(175ºC) at lower ⅔ rack, no fan-forced, with top and bottom heat, for 23 minutes or until you insert a skewer into a muffin and it comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- Add cream cheese into a bowl and mix until it gets creamy, using a spatula. Now add in 2-3 tbsp of honey (or your favourite sweetener) until you get your desired sweetness.
- Spoon onto the muffins and finally sprinkle some chopped walnuts on top. Serve and enjoy!
- Use spoon and level method when measuring the flour (for cup measurement)
- Use portable oven thermometer (like this one) for a more precise temperature reading (I use it too)
- Refer to my post above for tips