One of Argentina's classic dish. Spinach mixed with ricotta mixture that has sauted onion, garlic, parmesan and walnuts. Wonderful taste combination.
The most exciting past of this is the hidden boiled eggs nicely tucked inside and you get the surprise when you cut into the pie.
I always feel "Wowww!" everytime I cut into it, given it's not a surprise for me anymore. My mother-in-law makes the most delicious spinach ricotta pie and I'm so happy to know that she enjoys my version of the pie as much as hers.
More Argentine Recipes
- Beef empanadas
- Ricotta and spinach crepe cannelloni
- Tuna pionono (tuna roll cake)
- Rolled flank steak (matambre)
Easy Spinach and Ricotta Pie
- 1 lb spinach (450 gr)
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chicken buillon powder
- 1.1 lb ricotta (500 gr)
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (60 gr)
- 1 cup grated parmesan (100 gr)
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- 3 large eggs
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
Preparing the spinach
- Microwave the spinach for 3 minutes, max power, until it's wilted. Leave to cool and squeeze out most of it's liquid. Retaining some of its liquid will make the pie moist. Roughly chop them and set aside
The ricotta filling
- Heat some oil and add in the onion, a pinch of salt and garlic. Cook until the onion gets very soft, around 10-15 minutes. Add in black pepper, chicken bouillon powder and mix well. Add in previously chopped spinach, mix everything together and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, add in ricotta, nutmeg, parsley, walnuts, parmesan, black pepper, salt and mix until everything is well combined.
- In a different bowl, add in eggs and a pinch of salt. Beat the eggs. Add the beaten eggs into the ricotta mixture and mix everything well. Add in previously cooled spinach mixture and mix everything well. Set aside.
- Using a 25 cm detachable bottom pie pan, place a piece of shortcrust pastry to fit the pan. Press a bit against the pan's side. Blind bake it by putting a piece of baking sheet on top, some beans and bake in the oven at 200ºC preheated oven for 8 minutes or until the pastry is almost cooked. Remove from oven and take out the beans and baking sheet.
- Scoop in the ricotta filling on the pastry. Spread evenly. Make 4 indentations using a spoon and place hard boiled eggs into each of them. Cover with puff pastry. Cut off the excess pastry and pinch both of the pastries together to seal. With a fork pinch some holes on top to help release the steam. Paint with egg wash.
- Bake at 200ºC preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the pie is golden brown and fully cooked. Ready to serve.