My husband, Marco, loves these fruit tarts so much! I mean, what's not to like right? Flaky buttery spelt tart shells with healthier pastry cream and topped with fruits. These tarts are delicious regardless when and what season you make them.
These are healthier fruit tarts because I'm tweaking the shells and pastry cream recipes by using healthier wholesome ingredients.
The shells - Are made using 100% whole grain spelt flour. You'll notice a touch of nutty flavour to them. They're flaky and buttery, have no refined-sugar. Very versatile as with just a minor change, you can use them for both sweet and savoury. Definitely a keeper!
The pastry cream - It's also made without refined-sugar. It's thick, creamy and mildly sweet. Perfect not only for these fruit tarts but for everything that you can imagine.
Use whatever fruits of your liking and decorate them as you wish.
How Advance Can I Make These?
I'd say you can make the shells and the pastry cream 1 or 2 days in advance. Just keep the shells in an air tight container at room temperature, and the pastry cream chilled in the fridge.
On the day of, you can slice your fruits and make the honey glaze, if you want. Then just before serving, you assemble everything.
I don't recommend you to assemble them too far ahead of time as the shells would get soggy from the humidity of the pastry cream.
Tips To Prevent Tarts Getting Soggy
Ok, so if you really really really need to assemble them ahead of time, say 1 day ahead then here are some extra steps that you could do to prevent the shells from getting soggy.
Once your shells are cooled, paint the insides with some melted chocolate (of your choice). This will create a layer that's going to prevent the humidity from seeping into the shells.
Then you fill them, and decorate as you wish. Make sure you glaze the fruits else they'd look a bit sad sitting around too long.
- Easiest spelt tart shells
- Healthier vanilla pastry cream
- Healthy no-bake blueberry cheesecake
- 4-ingredient healthy peach upside down cake
- 3-ingredient healthy tahini cookies
Healthier Mini Fruit Tarts
Spelt Tart Shells
- 1 spelt tart shells recipe , click here
Healthier Pastry Cream
- 1 healthier pastry cream recipe , click here
- 1 tablespoon honey (20 g)
- 1 teaspoon water
- fruits of your choice
- Prepare the shells and pastry cream up to 1 day ahead. Keep the shells in an air tight container at room temperature, the pastry cream chill in the fridge.
- Mix in a bowl, set aside. If your honey is very liquid, then omit the water. We just want a consistency that can be applied easily.
- Assemble just when you're about to serve. Whisk the pastry cream using a handheld whisk until it becomes smooth and silky again. Put inside a piping bag and pipe into the shells.
- Place fruits on top. Brush some honey glaze on the fruits to make them look shiny and beautiful (optional). Serve and enjoy!