Enjoying baked goodies doesn't mean you need to feel guilty for every single bite that you take.
Why don't we also give ourselves some amazing healthy treats like these healthy blueberry oatmeal muffins that have no white flour, no white sugar.. AND no oil or butter.
Phew! That's a lot of nos and a million of yes, of course!
These muffins are not only super delicious but they are super moist, soft and fluffy. You're not missing on the white flour, fats or refined sugar, I promise.
Let's see this super easy recipe.
Have you tried my healthy oats banana muffins that ALSO don't have white flour or refined sugar? If you haven't, then you really might want to. I use that recipe as a guidance to this one.
As I mentioned earlier, in this recipe we will NOT be using white flour, or refined sugar or even fat.
Yes dear friend, it can be done and it's extremely easy and delicious!
Oatmeal Instead of White Flour
I love to treat oatmeal like white flour in my healthy baking recipes.
Oatmeal or oat flour is just ground oats. They can be in coarse or fine texture. The one that I'm using in this recipe has a very fine texture, almost like white flour.
Oatmeal is high in fibre and protein, one of the good carbs; they help in lowering the cholesterol level and eventually prevent heart disease.
Make your own oatmeal by grinding your rolled oats with a grinder like this to your desired texture. I love this grinder because it grinds grains so amazing! I use it all the time especially for my Asian cooking.
One thing though, if you make your own oatmeal and you're using cup measurement please measure AFTER you grind your oats and NOT BEFORE.
It's not a 1:1 ratio.
1 cup rolled oats (90 g) = almost ¾ cup fine texture oat flour (90 g).
Also take in mind that I'm using a very fine textured oatmeal, almost the texture of white flour.
Applesauce Instead Of Oil Or Butter
Applesauce is really a magical ingredient if you want to bake healthy.
I'm using it to replace fat in this recipe. You won't even know that these delicious and amazingly healthy muffins don't have any oil or butter in them.
Applesauce is just apples cooked until soft with some water and then blended into a puree. Some recipes call for cinnamon and sugar. I don't find it necessary.
The applesauce that I'm using is with 92.2% apples so it's barely sweet.
I really hope you would give this muffins recipe a try. They are THAT amazing, seriously.
These healthy blueberry oatmeal muffins are:
- with no refined sugar and no white flour
- they don't have any fats at all, no oil nor butter
- high in protein, fibre and with good carbs
- absolutely fill you more than any other typical muffins
- so darn DELICIOUS!
Before You Go
Maybe you would also like to check out these recipes:
- Healthy zucchini brownies (MUST TRY)
- Whole grain wheat spelt bread
- Healthy no-bake chocolate peanut butter bars
- Dairy free mango coconut popsicles
- Fast no-knead multi seeds bread
Healthy Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins (No White Flour & Refined Sugar)
- 2 cup oat flour (260 gr)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup desiccated coconut (80 gr)
- ¼ cup mixed seeds (40 gr)
- ½ cup milk (125 ml), room temperature
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup applesauce (280 gr)
- ½ cup honey (160 gr)
- 1 cup blueberry (145 gr)
- some mixed seeds for topping
- Sift oat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl. Then add in desiccated coconut and mixed seeds. Mix everything well and set aside.
- Homemade Buttermilk: Pour milk into a bowl together with lemon juice. Leave untouched for 10 minutes.
- Into the same bowl, add the rest of wet ingredients and mix well using a hand whisk.
- Now add dry into wet and mix everything just to combine. Finally add in blueberries and fold everything together using a spatula.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan well with some oil. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter evenly into the pan. Sprinkle some mixed seeds on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 360ºF (180ºC) for 20 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from oven and leave for 5 minutes. Then using an offset spatula or a knife, gently insert into the surrounding of the muffins to help loosen them. Place on a rack and cool completely.
How To Store
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
- To Freeze: Wrap the muffins individually with a cling film and put them in a ziplock bag. Place in the freezer up to 3 months.
- To Defrost: Thaw at room temperature. Gently heat in microwave to bring it back to life.
I’ve made plenty of healthy muffins , but this recipe is by far the BEST!!!! Thank you 🙂
Bea & Marco says
Yay! Your comment just made my day! Thanks, Cristina!
amazing and tastes great
I'm happy that you liked them, thanks Talia!
Fabianett Salas says
Thanks for sharing. I don't have applesauce by hand; how much oil can I use to replace it? Thanks
Thank you so much for this recipe, it is really delicious 😋.
I have a question how many calories approximately we have in one muffin please?
Hi Souha! Will try to put up the nutrition facts whenever I can. Anyways, glad that you liked them.
I'm really enjoying exploring and trying your delicious healthy baking recipes, thanks so much for sharing!
I was wondering if I can use finely chopped mixed nuts (almonds/pecans/walnuts) instead of the seed mix called for here?
Hi Maham! Yes, of course. Use whatever dry nuts/fruits that you like. Hope it helps and let me know how it goes.
Laura Robertson says
I made these a couple days ago for my family with extra blueberries and they lasted about 2 days. My young sons and my partner devoured them almost before I could have any. Tasty, great texture, and they feel healthy. I think i will make another batch today!
Haha! Poor you! Well I'm happy that they were such a hit in your family. Thank you! Also I have more healthy muffins in the website if you would like to check them out.
Delio perez says
Genial de aprende mucho
How many calories is there in one of these delicious muffins?
Hi Bea, I have tried your pineapple tart and it turn out so good, my family love it. Today I tried your blueberries muffin. I follow your recipe but used 160g wholemeal flour & 100g plain flour. Turn out good too. I love this healthy blueberries muffin.
Awesome, they're so easy to make. Thank you Eileen!
Great recipe - I added over ripened bananas to the wet mix and Ooo La La.
Oh la la indeed! I love baking with bananas. Thank you for sharing your touch to it!
yamal wilkeny says
I tried your healthy banana muffins and they were amazing. I gave these a try also and I cannot decide which ones are better. delicious delicious bea!!
thank you for sharing your easy recipes. <3 <3 <3
Right? I love them both 😀 ! Thank you so much Yamal, I'm happy to know that you're enjoying them!