What Is Stracciatella?
Stracciatella is a type of Italian ice cream or gelato that is made from milk and has small irregular chunks of chocolate pieces in it. It's one of Italian famous gelato.
Believe it or not, the gelato was inspired by a totally different meal, which is stracciatella soup. It's made from broth and egg.
Talk about going in different directions, eh?
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Everything I mention in this post is what I personally use and recommend.
No-Bake Stracciatella Cheesecake
Again, this no bake cheesecake is a request from one of our readers, Astrid. She just have wonderful ideas about cheesecakes and I'm just more than happy to do it. Thank you Astrid!
Since the flavour of stracciatella is simple with only combination of milk and chocolate so I thought I would incorporate the chocolate in the base of this cheesecake.
I'm using chocolate digestive biscuits that have the top surface coated with chocolate. You can use oreo cookies if you want. Or any other chocolate cookies. Your choice.
No sugar needed. The biscuits and chocolate are enough to sweeten the base.
As for the cheesecake, well it's the easiest!
Like always I'm using Philadelphia cream cheese. Full fat please. I've tried with light Philadelphia cream cheese just to make the cheesecake lighter but it didn't set that good. Or at least like I wanted it to be.
So yes, full fat.
And at room temperature. It whisks easier and fluffier at room temperature.
And then I'm using whipping cream and some milk, together with icing sugar, vanilla extract and gelatin to set the cheesecake. Very basic ingredients for a no bake cheesecake, don't you think?
Talking about whipping cream, do use the ones with minimum 35% fat. Yea I know, I wish all these cheesecakes were made from water and air and yet still taste like a bite from heaven. How I wish. But for now, it is what it is.
We don't want to forget about the hidden gems in this stracciatella cheesecake right?
I'm using a semisweet chocolate bar, just like the one I use for my delicious no-bake chocolate cheesecake, and then cut them into small chunks. Since we're not cooking this cheesecake, you can simply use your favorite chocolate without any problems.
And ohh.. the decoration on top is of course optional. You can serve your stracciatella as it is or go a bit further with some swirls of chocolate. Your choice my friend!
And with that, there you have it. A very simple no bake cheesecake that's called stracciatella cheesecake.
Do let me know if you make this recipe by showing a photo of your creation and leaving me a comment in my Pinterest. Or tag me in Instagram.
More No-Bake Cheesecakes
No-Bake Stracciatella Cheesecake
- 6.3 oz chocolate digestive biscuits (180 gr)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (60 gr), melted
- 14 oz full fat cream cheese (400 gr), room temperature
- ¾ cup icing sugar (90 gr), sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whipping cream min 35% fat (190 ml), chilled
- ¼ cup milk (60 ml)
- 1 tablespoon gelatin powder (10 gr), or any type/amount that can set 2 cup (500 ml) water
- 3.5 oz semisweet chocolate (100 gr), chopped into small chunks
- 1 oz semisweet chocolate (30 gr), chopped into small chunks
- 2 tablespoon whipping cream (30 ml)
- Blend the digestive biscuits in a food processor into fine crumbs. Pour into a bowl and add in melted butter. Mix everything well.
- Pour the mixture into a 7 inch (18 cm) springform pan. Press tightly and evenly to the bottom, using the bottom of a glass or the back of a spoon. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Add cream cheese into a bowl and whisk for a few minutes until it gets light and fluffy. Then add in vanilla extract and icing sugar. Mix everything well and set aside.
- In another bowl, add in chilled whipping cream and whisk until soft peaks. Pour the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture and mix just until well combined. Don't over mix to avoid the cream from splitting. Set aside.
- Add gelatin into milk and mix. Leave for the gelatin to soak, around 5 minutes. Then heat in microwave until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
- Take a few teaspoon of cheesecake mixture and add into gelatin mixture. Mix well. Then pour gelatin mixture into cheesecake mixture and immediately mix just until well combined. Add the chocolate chunks and fold everything together.
- Pour into our prepared base and give it a few shakes to smooth out the top. Set aside.
- Add the decoration ingredients into a bowl and heat in microwave with 15 seconds intervals until the chocolate is melted. Stir every intervals.
- Randomly spoon the chocolate cream mixture on the cheesecake. Using a skewer stick, swirl around to make some patterns. Chill in the fridge overnight or 12 hours or until the cheesecake is fully set. Enjoy!
How Transfer To Serving Plate
- It's easy since this cake is small. First insert a knife under the cheesecake and carefully run it all around to detach the cheesecake from the base.
- Using the same knife, gently lift the cheesecake a bit and insert 1 flat spatula. Do the same in the opposite direction.
- Carefully yet confidently lift the cheesecake with both spatulas and place on a serving plate. Gently remove spatulas out.
- Or place a baking sheet on the base of the springform pan before assembling. You will have a slightly bigger baking sheet coming out from the springform pan after assembling it. Before serving, gently slide the cheesecake onto a serving plate.
How To Serve
- Keep the cheesecake in the fridge all the time until just a few minutes before serving. Cut the slices as needed and put back the cheesecake in the fridge to maintain chill.
- Please use full fat cream cheese. Meaning, do not use light cream cheese else it won't set as good.
- Please use minimum 35% fat content for the whipping cream. The fat is needed to help set the cheesecake.
- Use unsalted butter.