Melt in your mouth coconut cookies, one of Malaysian well known classic cookies. The coconut flakes are dry fried, blended and then integrated with the dough to get that wonderful coconut flavor. And of course, then rolled in coconut flakes just for good measure. Simply yummy!
Watch how to make Malaysian style coconut cookies in the video below:
Malaysian Style Coconut Cookies
- 1 cup coconut flakes (75 gr)
- 1 1/2 cup corn starch (195 gr)
- 1 cup all purpose flour (130 gr)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (170 gr), soften
- 3/4 cup icing sugar (90 gr), sifted
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- some candied cherries , to put on top
- some coconut flakes , to roll the cookies
- Dry fry 1 cup (75 gr) coconut flakes on low heat until golden brown. Stir continuously to ensure even golden color. Take off the heat and pour it in a container. Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, blend the coconut flakes into fine powder. Set aside.
- In a bowl, sift corn starch, flour and baking powder. Add in previously blended coconut flakes and whisk everything together to combine. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add in butter, icing sugar, egg and vanilla extract. Whisk everything just until well combined. Add in the flour and coconut flakes mixture. Using a wooden spoon, mix everything just to combine. Don't over mix to avoid hard cookies.
- Take around 1 tsp of dough and form it into a ball. Place a piece of candied cherry in the middle and lightly press. Coat the ball in coconut flakes and place it on a baking tray with baking sheet. This recipe yields around 52 cookies.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 320ºF (160ºC) for 20 minutes or until the bottom edges are golden brown and the cookies are fully cooked. Cool on a rack and enjoy!