This is my take on the amazing Scandinavian almond cake. It is a super easy cake recipe that you can make in an instant to serve your unexpected (but yet welcomed, of course) guests.
Soft and moist cake with almond taste.
Why stop there when you can whip up a simple cream cheese glazing and wow your guests with this beautiful look. Right?
Let’s get started with the recipe, shall we?
Disclosure: some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning at no extra cost to you, I will get a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Everything I mention in this post is what I personally use and recommend.
The typical Scandinavian almond cake is usually baked in a special pan called rehruecken loaf pan (like this one).
I don’t have that pan and since my small kitchen cannot fit another additional pan in it, I thought ok I will use my 10 inch (25 cm) bundt pan.
Honestly, I don’t think the shape of a pan really matters. What matters is the delicious cake and it tastes deliciously the same in any pan.
But if you have the rehruecken loaf pan and want to use it, by all means go ahead.
The Almond Cake
This cake always reminds me of marzipan. And marzipan reminds me of Christmas! 🙂
As I mentioned earlier, this is my take on this delicious cake.
I’m adding almond meal to help with the almond taste instead of relying it all on almond extract. And for me, the almond meal brings that marzipan texture and taste to this cake.
Since this cake is originally sweet, so I’m reducing the amount of sugar in the cake. More when I plan to put some cream cheese glazing on top.
Which talking about, you don’t need to if you don’t feel like it. This cake is also delicious just by itself.
I just thought the glazing would make it look a bit Christmassy (in my head, haha!).
We like to have a slice of this cake with some hot mate, a typical Argentine drink. Perfect for this chilly and cosy weather.
Hope you would give this a try. As you can see from the video below, it’s super easy to make.
Before You Go
If you are into cakes, maybe you would want to check out these recipes 😉
- Almond and pear cake
- Hazelnut cake
- Banana coffee cake
- Clementine loaf cake
- Cranberry clementine pound cake
You can also go to my recipe page to see more recipes.
Till next time!
Watch how to make this Scandinavian almond cake in the video below:
Scandinavian Almond Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour (130 gr)
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond meal (50 gr)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 gr)
- 2/3 cup milk , room temperature
- 1 egg , room temperature
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (55 gr), melted
- 1/4 cup Sunflower oil (60 ml)
- 1.5 oz cream cheese (40 gr)
- 1/2 cup icing sugar (60 gr), sifted
- 1 tsp milk
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Add in almond meal, mix well and set aside.
- In another bowl, add in sugar, milk, egg and almond extract. Whisk to combine. Then add in flour mixture. Mix everything well just to combine, don't over mix.
- Now add in melted butter and sunflower oil. Mix everything well, again don't over mix the batter. Pour into a 10 inch (25 cm) bundt pan that has been buttered and floured before hand.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF (175ºC) for 30 minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from the oven and leave for 10 minutes before flipping the cake onto a wire rack. Leave to cool completely.
- In a bowl, mix together cream cheese with icing sugar using a spatula. Then add in milk and mix well to combine.
- Pour on the cake. Sprinkle some almond slices on top. Slice and enjoy!