You have got to make these healthy apple cinnamon crumble muffins with your air fryer. Yes, air fryer! No oven needed. They're gluten-free and there's no oil or butter at all in them, except in the crumble which is optional!
They are super easy to prepare and take only 13 minutes to cook. Aren't they amazing?
These healthy muffins are made with wholesome ingredients, refined-sugar free and the great thing is, they're super delicious that you won't miss the classic ones from the bakery!
Texture and flavour - Tender and fluffy healthy cinnamon muffins (yes, we don't make dense muffins here) not overly sweet with cinnamon touch, soft chunks of apple and oat crumbles on top.
Size - 10 cute muffins.
Level - So easy, just whisking and folding by hand.
Occasion - Perfect for healthier breakfast, snack for school or office, or for afternoon tea.
Lets Talk Ingredients
Oat flour - I buy mine, to make life easier. If you don't have it, no worries. Blend rolled oats in a food processor until you get a similar texture like whole wheat flour.
NOTE: Blend rolled oats first and then weigh or measure the amount needed. Start with 1 cup (130 g) and go from there.
Apple - I use Golden. You can use whatever type you fancy. Fuji, Pink Lady, Honeycrisp, Gala.. your choice, alright?
Applesauce - Again, I buy mine. I use organic applesauce with 92.2% apples. You can make it yourself by cooking peeled and cored apples until very tender with some water, cinnamon and sweetener (optional) for 15-20 minutes. Then blend until smooth in a food processor.
Sugar - I use unrefined brown sugar. You can use coconut sugar, erythritol or whichever dry sweetener that you prefer.
Honey - Helps making the muffins moist. I simply love it. Although not exactly the same but you could use maple syrup or any other liquid sweetener.
Coconut oil - I love the smell and that very subtle taste of it. Of course you can use any other oil like avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil etc. No problem at all.
What Muffin Container Can I Use In Air Fryer?
Silicon muffin cups - I love them. They're more rigid than muffin paper liners, which makes it easier when you want to put them in the air fryer basket. It's a bit difficult with the liners, but still doable.
Ramekins - Work great. Just bear in mind that you'll have bigger muffins and cooking time might vary also.
4-hole muffin pan - Also works but do check the measurements first if it fits your air fryer basket.
Muffin paper liners - Like I mentioned above, still doable.
How To Store
Keep in airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. I don't recommend putting them in the fridge though as the texture will change.
Can I Freeze Them?
Yes, absolutely. Simply wrap them individually with cling film and into a ziplock bag or container and place in the freezer. Good up to 3 months.
Thaw at room temperature. The crumble won't be crunchy after a few days or defrosted.
Air Fryer Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 ¼ cup oat flour (160 g)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup applesauce (130 g)
- ¼ cup honey (80 g)
- ¼ cup milk (60 ml), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg , room temperature
- 1 Golden apple , peeled, cored & cubed
- ½ cup oat flour (65 g)
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil (45 ml)
- 2 tablespoon unrefined brown sugar
- 3 mixing bowls (large, medium and small)
- Hand whisk
- Muffin silicon cups
- Air fryer
- Mix all in a bowl, set aside.
- Add all ingredients into another bowl, except apple, and whisk until is well combined. Now add in dry ingredients and mix until there's no lumps.
- Now add in cubed apple and fold everything together using a spatula. Scoop batter evenly into 10 muffin silicon cups. Set aside.
- Mix everything good in a small bowl, using a fork/spoon. Finally sprinkle on top of the muffins. You might have some balance left.
Baking In Air Fryer
- Preheat air fryer at 320ºF (160ºC) for 5 minutes by either using preheat setting or running it at that temperature and minutes.
- Place 5 muffins into the air fryer basket and bake using air fryer program for 13 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Wait 1-2 minutes so that they're not super hot before carefully removing them onto a rack. Continue baking the rest.
- Leave muffins for 10 minutes before removing them from the silicon casings, and then cool completely. Enjoy!
- Use spoon and level method for cup measurements.
- Adjust the quantity of muffins in the air fryer basket accordingly, without over crowding it.