Yehaaaaaw! Autumn is just around the corner and you know what that means, right?
It's baking time full swing and we're starting off with these HEALTHY apple oatmeal muffins that are gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free!
And you will not believe how yummilicious these beauties are 😉
Autumn Come Already
I always annoyingly ask my husband, Marco " What is it about summer that you westerners love so much?" Haha!
I'm an Asian and am used to hot weather but even that, the hot summer weather at our place is so unbearable. Yes I'm ranting, I know, I know.
I can't bake so much in the summer because then our kitchen gets hot as hell. Seriously, not kidding (or am I? 😀 ). Food choices in the summer are also limited due to the heat (I LOVE soups so much!)
Now that the temperature is very very slowly going down, I can bake ALL the time again 🙂
And autumn baking is all about apples, pumpkin, cinnamon and of course, lots and lots of chocolate! I'm so excited, can you tell?
Healthy Autumn Treats
Let's kick off this autumn baking with some healthy treats, shall we?
These muffins are way healthier than the conventional apple muffins. They have healthier flours which are almond and oats flour. Those only will definitely full you more than the typical white flour.
Not to mention they have better health benefits like high in fibre, rich in antioxidants, lower cholesterol level and improve blood sugar.
If you're skipping dairy in your meals, then no worries. This recipe doesn't use any dairy ingredients. I'm using rice milk which you can easily substitute with almond milk, coconut milk or other vegetable milk.
White sugar is something that we're learning to cut back. Instead in our house we're using coconut sugar, maple syrup or honey as sweetener whenever we feel the sweet cravings. And that's what I'm using in this recipe, honey.
Healthy treats don't need to be horrible. Try these and you will see. They are absolutely delicious!
Hey even if you're saying they have more or less the same calories as the conventional apple muffins, what we need to understand is that we're enjoying healthier calories. Not just empty ones.
Give this recipe a try and let me know what you think. Leave a comment below together with your rating if you've made any of my recipes.
Tag me in Instagram at elmundoeats or use #elmundoeats, you know I'd love to see your creations!
These beautiful healthy apple crumble muffins are:
- so easy to make, no fancy equipment required
- using healthy ingredients that have way more health benefits than the conventional ones
- taste so deliciously autumn
- soft, tender and moist!
- just freaking YUMMILICIOUS!
Hungry For More Healthy Treats?
Check out these delicious recipes:
- Blueberry oatmeal muffins
- Oats banana chocolate chip muffins
- Healthy brownies
- Blueberry crumb bars
- Marble cake
Apple Oatmeal Muffins
- ½ cup instant oats (45 g)
- ¼ cup walnuts (25 g), chopped
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (30 g), solid
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cup oat flour (260 g)
- ½ cup almond flour (65 g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg powder
- ½ cup unsweetened rice milk (125 ml)
- ½ tbsp apple vinegar
- 1 cup applesauce (260 g)
- ½ cup honey (160 g)
- 2 eggs , room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 clementine
- 2 apples , peeled, cored and diced
- Add all of the crumble ingredients into a bowl and mix everything well using a fork. Keep in the fridge until needed later.
- Add all of dry ingredients into a bowl and mix everything well using a spoon. Set aside.
- Add all of wet ingredients, except for the apples, into another bowl and mix everything well using a whisk.
- Add ½ of dry ingredients into wet and whisk until there's no lumps. Add the rest and continue whisking. Finally add in diced apples and fold everything together with a spatula.
- Spray muffin pans with some oil. Using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter evenly to make 16 muffins. Sprinkle the crumbles on top.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF (175ºC) for 25 minutes or until you insert a wooden skewer in and it comes out dry. Remove from the oven and leave for 5 minutes.
- Run an offset spatula or a knife all around the muffins to help loosen them up. Remove from the pans and cool completely. Enjoy!
How To Store
- These are best consumed the day of baking. The crumble will lose its crunchiness if the muffins are kept longer. They will still taste amazing though.
- Keep in airtight container at room temperature.
- To Freeze: Wrap each muffin individually with a cling film, place in a ziploc bag and into the freezer up to 2 months.
- To Defrost: Defrost at room temperature.