Who doesn't love themselves some piping hot juicy dumplings dipped in its sauce, right?
Well get grab your dumpling buddy and join me today for these super easy and delicious chicken and shrimp dumplings.
Let's simply dive in!
Healthy Comfort Food
When we mention comfort food we will immediately imagine naughty food that really lift us up and bring rainbows to our souls.
Well, not these ones.
This meal doesn't involve frying or whatnots and yet, one bite of it makes you float on air. And I have to warn you, it's difficult to stop munching on these so you better put on your loose pants when devouring them.
Not only that, they are also one of the dishes served during Chinese New Year celebration as a sign of good luck. Another dish that's common during this festivity is spring rolls.
For this recipe I'm using minced chicken and shrimps together with shiitake and spring onion.
I love to add shrimps with my meat of choice because they add flavour and make the filling more juicy.
You can prepare whatever filling that your heart desires, of course.
You can turn it vegetarian by adding tofu instead of meat and more shiitake and spring onion.
Or swap the chicken with beef or lamb, your choice.
The Dumpling Wrapper
For this recipe I make my own dumpling dough. It's super easy and way better than store bought ones. Yep!
If you also want to make your own, what I would recommend is to prepare the dough first.
While it's resting you can prepare your filling.
By the time the dough is ready to be used, you will have everything all done.
If you're making everything yourself with no help, like me, don't worry about being fast in rolling the dough and assembling the dumplings.
Just roll all the dough pieces and coat each of them with some cornstarch, stack them one on top of the other.
Then simply assemble the dumplings one by one and place them on a wooden board or a lightly floured tray.
When you're about to finish, start boiling your huge pot with abundance of water.
By the time you're done, water is all ready and then there's nothing more to do than to just cook.
I do hope you give this super easy and delicious recipe a try.
These amazing chicken and shrimp dumplings:
- are SUPER HEALTHY comfort food, guilt free
- can be personalised to your likings by making your own favourite filling
- are super easy to make
- make great unique appetizers for your parties and gatherings
- are just simply DELICIOUS
Before You Go
If you like these dumplings, perhaps you would like these delicious recipes also:
- Easy Chinese steamed buns
- How to make Chinese egg noodles
- Chicken and shrimp shumai
- Soy sauce stir fry noodles
Chicken & Shrimp Dumplings
- ½ oz dry shiitake mushroom (15 gr), soak in hot water for 10 minutes
- 5.3 oz minced chicken (150 gr)
- 5.3 oz minced shrimp (150 gr)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper powder
- ½ cup chopped spring onion (50 gr)
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar (or substitute with balsamic vinegar)
- ½ tablespoon sesame oil
- 24 pieces dumpling wrapper , see my homemade recipe here
- some water
- Squeeze out water from soaked shiitake and chop into small pieces. Then add into a bowl together with minced chicken, minced shrimp, soy sauce, water, sugar and white pepper powder.
- Mix everything well and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Then add in the chopped spring onion and sesame oil. Mix well and it's ready.
- NOTE: Only add spring onion and sesame oil right before assembling the dumplings.
- Take 1 piece of dumpling wrapper and place a heap teaspoon of filling on the center. Wet half of the edges with some water and fold, pinching in the middle. Then fold and pinch from one outer side to the center. Continue with the other side.
- Pinch the seams tight to prevent water seeping inside the dumpling when cooking. Place on a wooden board or a lightly floured tray. Continue with the rest.
- Bring a pot with abundance of water to a boil, on high medium heat. Put the dumplings in, 1 by 1, while gently stirring the water. This will prevent them sticking to the bottom.
- Bring back to a boil. Once the dumplings are floating, continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes or until they look plump and are fully cooked.
- Gently take them out using a strainer and place on a serving plate.
NOTE: Cook the dumplings in batches to avoid over crowding the pot.
- Don't over cook the dumplings because then the dough will fall apart. Keep your eyes on them.
How To Serve
- Serve the dumplings immediately with the sauce on the side.
How To Store
- I would recommend you to store not cooked assembled dumplings.
- Place not cooked assembled dumplings on a tray with a baking sheet with some space between them. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Take the tray out. Put all the dumplings in a ziplock bag and back in the freezer.
Cooking Frozen Dumplings
- Simply put frozen dumplings in boiling water, don't thaw them.
- Cooking method is the same as fresh dumplings, only you will take a few minutes more of cooking time.
Turned out really great!
Yeay! Thanks for your feedback, Perrin!
So excited to try this! Is the chicken and shrimp is raw to make the filling right?
Yes, both the chicken and shrimps are raw for the filling, then you boil to cook them. Hope it helps and have fun!
Yes I made these the other day together with homemade dumpling wrappers. I changed one thing, I only used prawns since I love them so much. Super yummy!
Oh that's great. I'm happy to know that you loved them, thank you so much Tan!
audrey chin says
bea, i made them using your homemade wrappers they were so delicious thank you!!!
Homemade ones are always better, right? Happy that you liked them, thank you so much Audrey!