Yep, I know. There are just too many of this recipe out there in this world. But hey, everybody has their own touch to it so this is mine.
So it started when we went to Costco the other day and found that the blueberries were in offer. Of course we grabbed 1 container. What better than to make lemon blueberry cake, right? This cake is just made for the summer. Yep.
Another easy layer cake for you to try is my delicious red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting!
I'm using my favourite soft and moist lemon yogurt cake recipe as the base recipe and adjust it for my lemon blueberry cake. If you haven't already, do check it out.
For me, no lemon juice is needed in the recipe. With a good amount of lemon zest is enough to bring out the lemony taste in the cake. I'm using plain unsweetened greek yogurt in this recipe since that's what I have in the fridge.
If you have lemon flavoured greek yogurt, by all means use it. Reduce the amount of sugar a bit to balance it out. Just don't use low fat yogurt or anything similar because yes, we do want the fat in this case as it helps the cake to have that soft and moist texture.
I'm using some gelatin in the frosting to help maintain its structure without having to use lots of cream cheese nor whipping cream. I don't feel like using buttercream as the frosting for this cake also.
My place is very hot during summer time. So if you're in the same situation like I am, this frosting is something you might really want to try.
The frosting is a tad runny at the beginning but will set in time and when the cake is chilling in the fridge later on. If the frosting is too runny to even handle it, then simply place it in the fridge for a few minutes so that it gets a bit firm. Just enough to handle, you don't want it to get really firm and not spreadable.
Since lemon and blueberries are everywhere now, I do hope you'll give this cake a try. If you're not into the length of frosting it the way I did, then bake the cake in a bundt pan and spread some frosting of cream cheese with a squeeze of lemon and some icing sugar on top. Simpler and equally delicious. Enjoy!
More Cake Recipes
- Summer berry cake
- Devil's food cake with sour cream chocolate frosting
- Caramel pineapple cake
- Red velvet cake
- Victoria sponge cake
Lemon Blueberry Cake
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour (160 gr)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs , room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar (150 gr)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup Sunflower oil (125 ml)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened greek yogurt (80 gr)
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¾ cup blueberries (100 gr)
- 1 ¼ cup whipping cream (35% fat) (310 ml), chilled
- 13 oz full fat cream cheese (370 gr), room temperature
- ⅔ cup icing sugar (80 gr), sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup lemon juice (60 ml)
- 2 teaspoon gelatin powder (5 gr)
- blueberries , for filling & topping
- lemon zest , for topping
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Take around 1 heap tablespoon of sifted flour and add it into a bowl of blueberries. Mix and coat the blueberries well. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add in sugar and eggs. Whisk until the mixture turns pale in color. Then add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Add in sifted flour mixture and mix just to combine. Don't over mix to avoid dense cake. Then add in previously prepared blueberries and fold everything together just to combine. Again, don't over mix.
- Pour the batter into an 8 inch (20 cm) pan that has been buttered and lined at the bottom beforehand.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 320ºF (160ºC) for 30 minutes or until fully cooked. Leave to cool completely on a rack.
- Once cooled, slice off the top to level it out, this is optional. Then slice into 2 equal pieces. Wrap in cling film to avoid them getting dry. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add in whipping cream and whisk until stiff peaks. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk cream cheese until fluffy. Then add in vanilla extract, icing sugar and mix well. Set aside.
- Sprinkle gelatin powder into a bowl of lemon juice. Leave to soak for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, heat the mixture in microwave until the gelatin is fully dissolved. Then add in around 1 tablespoon of previously prepared cream cheese mixture into it and mix well.
- Pour the gelatine mixture into cream cheese mixture. Make sure gelatin mixture is not hot when you pour it in. Mix everything well. Then add in previously prepared whipped cream and fold everything together to combine.
- Place frosting in piping bag for easier handling.
- Place 1 piece of cake on a cake stand or a serving plate and pipe some frosting on it. Then sprinkle some blueberries and put the other piece of cake on top.
- Put more frosting and coat the whole cake. Decorate with some blueberries and lemon zest. Enjoy!
Hi Bea!! Ifollow your blog and youtube channel and I must say that your work is amazing. I want to try everything!! 😍😍
Could you please advise if I use gelatine leafs for this recipe how much grams should I put?
Thank you xxx
Hi! Since gelatine strength varies according to brands and types, I'd suggest you look at your package and use the amount that will set 250 ml of liquid. Hope it helps and thank you for following our channel and blog 😘🙌❤️!
Hi Bea. Thank you for the info. I tried the recipe tonight and I must say that it is super delicious. I'll email you some photos to see 😊
Virginia Holland says
I made this yesterday with a few tweaks. I made it as a Bundt cake and traded oil for super softened butter and buttermilk for the Greek yogurt. I also added 2 Tablespoons of Lemon juice and only 1 tablespoon of zest. Baked at 325 for a little under an hour.
I frosted it with 1 large bar of softened cream cheese, 1/2 stick softened salted butter, 1 cup of already whipped heavy cream and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice...then added a cup of confectioners sugar...I then continued adding until it looked stiff but still soft. (I used Meyer lemons throughout as well.)
I have pictures to post as well but not sure how!
By the way...my miniature Schnauzer is named
It is super moist and the frosting is amazing!!!
Awww, now I have a twin ❤️! I'm happy that you liked it, thank you for sharing your tweaks and feedback, Virginia! I'd love to see the pictures ❤️! You can email me at [email protected].