I don't know about you but I'm always looking for quick recipes that I can whip up with no hassles during the weekdays. And this quick 30-minute chicken massaman curry with peanut and coconut just hits the spot for me.
I mean who doesn't love curries, right? Everyday should be curry day!
Texture and flavour - Creamy curry sauce with mild spices, slightly sweet and nutty flavours.
Size - 2-3 people depending on what you have it with. Stretch it by accompanying it with my perfectly cooked jasmine rice or flatbreads, and veggies.
Level - Easy. Prep your ingredients first (minor chopping tasks) and cooking will not take more than 30 minutes.
Occasion - Perfect if you're a beginner and trying to explore the world of curries.
Why This Recipe?
Because this quick recipe is still preserving the essence flavours of a massaman curry and you can enjoy it without the hassles of making the massaman curry paste.
Massaman curry paste is quite laborious (trust me, I did it) to prepare as most of the herbs and spices used for the paste are dry toasted or charred first. Not to mention the different spices that you need to have to make it.
I'm using Thai red curry paste as the base and I'm modifying the flavours by adding just a few more spices to bring it as close as it can to a massaman curry.
PRO CURRY LOVER TIP: If possible, make it a day before. The flavours really go up a notch the next day.
Lets Talk Ingredients
Red curry paste - I use a strong red curry paste. If you're using a mild one like Thai Kitchen, feel free to use from 2-3 tbsp.
Fish sauce - Don't get scared of it, your dish won't taste fishy. It gives our curry the wonderful umami flavour.
SUBSTITUTION: Use the same amount of soy sauce.
Fennel seed - If you love making curries then I'm sure you will have this in your pantry. It gives the curry a delicious touch of licorice.
SUBSTITUTION: Use the same amount of cumin seeds, caraway seeds or 1 star anise.
Peanut butter - I use natural 100% peanut butter like in my peanut sauce stir-fry noodles, but you can use whichever you have.
Coriander powder - It's a mild tasting spice and has this earthiness and slightly sweet flavour to it, which goes great in this recipe.
SUBSTITUTION: Although it's not exactly the same but you could use the same amount of cumin powder. Cumin powder is slightly stronger and bitter but still has the earthiness taste.
More Curry Recipes
- Quick vegan lentil and coconut curry
- Punjabi chicken curry
- Quick Malaysian red curry laksa noodles
- Vegan green curry dumplings
- Slow cooker chicken rendang curry
Quick 30-Minute Chicken Massaman Curry
- 1 lemongrass , bruised
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 shallot , thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- ½ tablespoon strong red curry paste (10 g)
- 2 tablespoon natural peanut butter (35 g)
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- ⅓ cup water (80 ml)
- 1 medium sized potato , peeled and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 3 small sized carrot , peeled and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast , cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth (250 ml)
- ½ can coconut milk (200 ml)
- Heat some coconut oil (or any oil of choice) in a pot on medium heat. Add in all sautee ingredients and cook until the shallot is golden brown.
- Now add in all the spices ingredients and mix everything well. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add in the rest of the ingredients, give it a mix, bring it to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the potato is fully cooked.
- Finally add in the seasonings and give it one last mix. Adjust to taste. Serve hot with some rice or flatbreads and veggies. Optional, sprinkle some crushed peanuts and coriander leaves on top. Enjoy!