Argentine Style Cannelloni
Cannelloni are a type of pasta. They have tubular shape and are usually stuffed with varieties of filling like meat, cheese and one of my favourites, spinach and ricotta.
Which is what the recipe is about today.
Argentine style cannelloni is a bit different because instead of using the tubular shaped pasta, you make these lovely thin light crepes and then roll them with the filling inside.
Let's get started, shall we?
I LOVE family recipes. Be it from my own family (of course) and others'.
There's always a sentimental attachment to a family recipe. Don't you think?
This recipe is one of the Argentine recipes that I started to learn from my mother-in-law, Gladys. Before meeting my husband, I've never eaten cannelloni before.
I remember the first time that I saw Gladys making cannelloni with spinach and ricotta filling, I thought ok that's super complicated, no way I will EVER make that! Haha!
After learning and understanding the whole meal itself, I found myself getting excited about it and not soon after that I started making the spinach and ricotta cannelloni.
The filling can be anything you like, of course. Another recipe from Marco's family is our spinach ricotta pie or also known as pascualina. Do try!
I'm using my homemade ricotta for this recipe.
It's extremely easy to make, trust me. Once you start making your own ricotta cheese, most probably you will never use store-bought again.
Apart from ricotta, I'm also using turkey ham, parmesan cheese, spinach, walnuts, parsley, salt and black pepper.
Either using fresh or thawed frozen spinach, just make sure to squeeze out the liquid. We don't want our filling to get soggy.
I would recommend you to mix and check the seasoning at this point. Why?
Because later we will add raw egg and once the egg is added, most likely you'll be hesitant to taste it.
So remember, adjust your seasoning before adding the egg.
You can use your favourite sauce, really. For this recipe I'm just using the simple basic marinara sauce.
What I learnt is that, spread some sauce on the base of your baking dish before you place in your cannelloni.
This will prevent the cannelloni from sticking to the baking dish.
When placing your cannelloni on your baking dish, make sure you place them seam side down and snugly to each other. This will prevent the edges from opening up during baking.
And then simply pour more marinara sauce on top, followed by some bechamel sauce.
Finally, of course some shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan cheese for that gooey and beautiful golden brown look when baked.
I hope you'll give this recipe a try. Adjust to your likings and make it yours.
Before You Go
Would you be interested to see more Argentine recipes? All these recipes are what I learnt from my husband's side of the family.
- Tuna pionono (tuna rolled cake)
- Ricotta pie with dulce de leche
- Classic Argentine alfajores
- Baked empanada
- Steak milanesa
You can find more similar recipes in my recipe page.
Ricotta and Spinach Crepe Cannelloni
- 500 gr ricotta , please refer to my video if you want to make it yourself
- ⅔ cup chopped turkey ham
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 200 gr fresh spinach , wilted then squeezed and chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 8 crepes , please refer to my video on how to make them
- 2 cups marinara sauce , adjust accordingly
- 1 cup bechamel sauce , adjust accordingly
- 1 ½ cup grated mozzarella , adjust accordingly
- some grated parmesan cheese , for the top
- In a bowl, add in ricotta, ham, spinach, walnuts, parsley, nutmeg, salt and black pepper to taste. Mix everything well. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add the egg and mix until well combined. Divide the filling equally into 8 portions.
- Spoon some marinara sauce into a 7.75x12.5 inch (20x32 cm) baking and spread evenly. Set aside.
- Place 1 portion of filling on lower third of a crepe. Roll it tightly and place it in the prepared baking dish, seam side down. Continue with the rest of the filling and crepes. Place the cannelloni snugly to each other.
- Cover them with more marinara sauce, followed by bechamel sauce. Lastly sprinkle some shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 360ºF (180ºC) for 30 minutes or until the filling is hot through and the cheeses are nicely browned. Leave for 5-10 minutes to cool a bit before serving. Enjoy!
I want to do Marinara souse, but how ? Idk 😊
Hi Zulya. There are variations of marinara sauce but the simplest can be just by sauteeing chopped onion with some garlics until translucent. Then add in canned tomato and season with oregano, basil, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes and it's ready. Hope it helps 🙂