Lontong is a traditional meal originally from Indonesia but has been famous in Malaysia since forever. It consist of a flavourful coconut milk lemongrass soup base cooked with veggies, tofu and eaten with compact rice, sambal, boiled egg and sprinkles of chillies. This is my light version of Lontong and I serve it like this in our house.
An Indonesian origin and then adapted to Malaysian style. This light coconut soup together with tofu, rice cakes, veggies and sambal is really a flavourful and complete dish to try.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 4 people
- ¼ red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 candlenuts
- 2 tablespoon dry shrimps* , soaked for 10 minutes and drained
- 2 lemongrass
- ½ inch galangal
- ½ cup water (125 ml)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 ¼ cup water (800 ml)
- 1.8 oz green beans (50 g)
- 1 medium size carrot
- 3.5 oz cabbage (100 g)
- 7 oz tofu (200 g)
- 0.9 oz glass noodles (25 g), cut into 8-10 cm length, more or less
- 0.8 oz tofu skin , soaked until soft and cut into 2 inches length
- 14 oz coconut milk (400 ml)
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 20 shrimps
- compact rice (rice cakes)
- To a mortar, add red onion, dry shrimp, candle nuts, garlic cloves, and pound into a paste. Set aside. You can also use a blender.
- Heat some oil in a pot and add in lemongrass, galangal and cook until they release their fragrance. Add in previously pounded paste, water and cook until the onion is soft. Stir frequently to avoid it getting burnt.
- Add turmeric powder and cook until the powdery taste is gone. Add in water and mix well. Add in green beans, carrots, bring to a boil and cook until the veggies are almost cooked. Add in cabbage, tofu skin and cook until the veggies are fully cooked.
- Add in glass noodles, tofu, coconut milk and mix well. Bring to a simmer and add in the shrimps and leave for them to be fully cooked. Ready to serve
Assembling a lontong bowl
- In a bowl, pour in the lontong. Add in compact rice (rice cakes), sprinkle some chilis, add in boiled egg and sambal to your taste.
Calories: 552.2kcal, Carbohydrates: 58.1g, Protein: 27.9g, Fat: 24.7g, Saturated Fat: 19.2g, Cholesterol: 167.2mg, Sodium: 1258.3mg, Potassium: 576.5mg, Fiber: 3.1g, Sugar: 3g, Calcium: 202.6mg, Iron: 6.3mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @elmundoeats and tag #elmundoeats!
Leave a Comment