You have got to try this quick 30 minutes chicken ramen, I promise that it'll satisfy your ramen cravings.
There's depth in the broth, it's easy to put together and yes, it's perfect for whenever you want some good old hot bowl of ramen, just to enjoy at home.
Let's get started shall we?
Texture and flavour - Flavourful umami broth (yes, believe me), chewy noodles, juicy chicken, creamy 6 ½ minutes egg and that spring onion crunch, all in a bowl.
Size - 2 people
Level - Easy
What's Ramen & Why This Recipe?
Ramen is a type of Japanese noodle soup that's with the main components of flavourful homemade broth and noodles. The broth is usually made with bones and cooked for hours, to get that deep umami flavours. The noodles are usually handmade like these ones.
Having said that, not all of us have the hours to dedicate to, for whenever we crave for a bowl of ramen. So this recipe is a quick and simplified way to enjoy ramen at home, while still preserving the essences of ramen, as much as possible.
Lets Talk Ingredients
Chicken stock - Find the best that you can as it does matter because that'll be the base for your ramen broth. You can make your own using my chicken soup recipe or use chicken bouillon.
Shiitake - This is important to add that umami flavour in the ramen broth. Dry shiitake have more flavour than fresh ones, so use those. If you can't find dry ones, you can use fresh shiitake and add them into the broth just a few minutes before serving.
Noodles - Good old plain egg noodles. Use dry or fresh, depending on what's more convenient to you. Fresh udon works great also.
Less sodium soy sauce - Great for the flavour without adding too much salt into your broth or anything that you cook it with. You can use more amount for more flavour with this, which I really recommend. I only have 2 types of soy sauce in our house, less sodium and dark.
SUBSTITUTION: Use half amount of regular soy sauce or oyster sauce. Adjust to taste.
Dark soy sauce - This is to add colour to your chicken, with a touch of caramel flavour. Dark soy sauce is not salty.
SUBSTITUTION: Use 1 tbsp regular soy sauce or oyster sauce. Skip the salt.
Nori sheets - I'd say this is up to you. If you have it then use it as it also gives that umami seafood flavour to your broth. Marco doesn't like it in his ramen (but he does eat sushi wrapped in nori!) so.. you do you, boo.
Butter - Add it, trust me. Just a bit goes a long way. Adds that flavourful buttery taste mimicking the long hours of broth simmering, and we're cheating and doing it in 20 minutes.
More Asian Soup
- Noodle soup, my style
- Quick red curry laksa noodle
- Rice porridge with chicken, using Instant Pot
- Quick 30 minutes beef Pho noodle
- Quick 30 minutes sweet and sour laksa noodle, Penang assam laksa
Quick 30 minutes chicken ramen
- 4 cup chicken stock (1 liter)
- 6 dry shiitake , whole
- 4 garlic cloves , whole end peeled
- 2 inch ginger , sliced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter (30 g)
- ¼ cup less sodium soy sauce (60 ml)
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 chicken breast , skinless and boneless
- 2 eggs
- 5.3 oz dry egg noodles (150 g)
- spring onion
- nori sheet
- Preheat oven at 400ºF(200ºC) using upper and lower heat. Boil some water in 2 pots. Heat an iron skillet on medium high heat with a bit of oil. Prepare a bowl of water with ice cubes.
- Add everything in a pot, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Char the chicken on a hot iron skillet for 1-2 minutes, on both sides. Then place in the oven on the upper ⅓ rack, for 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked.
6 ½ Minutes Eggs
- Once the water is boiling in a pot, gently add in the eggs and immediately lower the fire. Leave to simmer for 6 ½ minutes and then place the eggs into the ice water bowl. Leave to cool completely before peeling them. Set aside.
- Add the noodles into another pot of boiling water and cook according to the packet's instructions. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- Discard garlic and ginger from the broth. Slice the shiitake and some spring onion. Slice the chicken in thin slices.
- Ladle some broth into 2 bowls. Add in the noodles, followed by chicken slices and shiitake. Slice the eggs and place in each bowl. Finish off with some sliced spring onion and tuck in a piece of nori sheet on one side of the bowl. Serve immediately!
- Use portable oven thermometer (like this one) for a more precise temperature reading (I use it too)
- Refer to my post above for tips and substitutions